Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

anamznazn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 10, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
what do you guys suggest as the best free anti-virus program on vista? i've been using Avast for quite some time now...it's great at detecting viruses, but so horrible at actually getting rid of them. any suggestions?

stomer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2007
Leeds, UK
NOD32. Doesn't cost much. Doesn't pester me with nagging dialog boxes. Frequent updates. Doesn't hog resources. Always seems to rate highly in independent tests.

sreedy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2005
Somerset
I second AVG, their spyware program is quite good aswell.

Yep I'll add my vote to both of those. I have installed Free AVG AV and Spyware program on about 6 or 7 Vista and XP machine for family and they are all happy with it.

Flowero4ka

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2008
I know that parallels have an offer - 4 things in one! One of them is anti-virus Kasperskiy! I think, it's one of the best anti-viruses :)

Flowero4ka

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2008
I know that parallels have an offer - 4 things in one! One of them is anti-virus Kasperskiy! I think, it's one of the best anti-viruses :)

The Menacer

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2007
I use AVG and Windows Defender on my PC. AVG is awesome, and I've never had a problem with Defender.

rake_mistry

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2008
🇨🇦
Hmm.... I'd have to go with Avast, mainly because the download for AVG Free always freezes on me, (possibly because it's so dang popular???), and so I had to use Avast. OK, now that that's over with, can anyone suggest ME a free anti-virus software that won't lag me while gaming??? I mean, with Avast, I turn off the on-access protection while gaming, because it lags me, BUT, are there any that DON'T lag while gaming, so I wouldn't have to turn off on-access protection??? Thanks.

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California
Maybe I'm nit-picking here but I never like AVG as much as Avast! mainly because of looks. Yes, I know, superficial, but we're Mac users. We base a lot of stuff on looks. Don't get me wrong, both are awesome programs, but Avast! I think looks better UI wise.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.