Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mlansdell

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 11, 2009
Even Macs get bogged down sometimes, or so it seems anyway. So, what I want to know is can anyone recommend me a piece of "Clean Up" software that will speed things up a bit? And, if possible, something free would be good!

:)

Cheers!

R94N

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2010
UK
It's not free, but CleanMyMac does a nice job. A free option, although it's not the same, is Onyx.

pastrychef

macrumors 601
Sep 15, 2006
New York City, NY
Try using AppCleaner when you want to get rid of software to keep things clean. It's donationware.

As for cleaning up whatever mess is already there, I don't know... Sorry.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
It's not free, but CleanMyMac does a nice job. A free option, although it's not the same, is Onyx.
One app that I would not recommend, based on the number of complaints that have been posted in this forum and elsewhere, is CleanMyMac. As an example: CleanMyMac cleaned too much
Try using AppCleaner when you want to get rid of software to keep things clean.
I wouldn't recommend AppCleaner, either.

Best way to FULLY DELETE a program?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
My experiences with it has been okay, but yes, that's probably something the OP needs to consider if they're going to choose it.
CleanMyMac, AppCleaner or other app removal software will not make a Mac run faster. They only free up some (not all) of the disk space used by apps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.