Best Free Image editor

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by JustOneQuickONe, Jul 18, 2009.

1. JustOneQuickONe macrumors 6502

What would you all say is the best free image editor for Leopard? I've heard GIMP is pretty good for being free, does any one have any input that has used it? Is it safe to download/ do I need to download a "platform"(not sure what else to call it) before I download the actual program? Any input on either subject would be greatly appreciated. I mainly need the basics suck as being able to cut things out of pictures (lasso tool) coloring etc, but would like the extras for when I get ambitious.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

The Gimp and Seashore are your "free" choices for the most part

Pixelmator has a lot of fans and is fairly inexpensive for the feature set

Depending on what you are trying to do GraphicConverter is an excellent tool to have

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. JustOneQuickONe thread starter macrumors 6502

Do i just click on the "GIMP for OS" link on this page and it will download everything that is needed? Sorry, pretty noobish but I want to make sure I download exactly what I need, no extra stuff, and from a legit site where I don't have to worry about something screwy happening to my comp.

4. upinflames900 macrumors 6502a

upinflames900

http://gimp.lisanet.de/Website/Download.html

Click on the Leopard one...

5. JustOneQuickONe thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks, do you have experience with GIMP? Just curious, I would like to know how it stacks up haha

6. upinflames900 macrumors 6502a

upinflames900

No sry I really dont. I used seashore like three times and it works okay, but freezes up a lot on me. I have never used GIMP, but would imagine that if you want to do serious photo editing...you will get what you pay for and when you dont pay you can't get too too much. Good luck though and let us know how it worked for you.

7. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Actually the Gimp is extremely powerful, but it is not as Mac-like as I would like
    It takes some getting used to because it is more Unix oriented

You will need to spend some time with it and go through the tutorials that are available online to utililze it to its full potential

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]