Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ccrew

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2011
None for BSD, Linux, Solaris, VMS or anything other then Windows.

Another misconception..

http://www.unixmen.com/meet-linux-viruses/

Keep in mind, if you can't attack the OS directly, you attack a component frequently installed. Apple doesn't run Oracle's latest Java for a reason.

Interesting that the DOD *requires antivirus to be installed on all the systems you listed. They added a requirement for Anti-Virus software to be installed and rated it as a Category I (highest) requirement. Within the DoD, you must follow this checklist in order to get "Authority to Connect" to the network.

Maybe you don't know something they do?

----------

Those are proof-of-concept viruses that exist only in a lab. They don't exist in the wild, so they pose no threat to Mac users.

So, GGJ, with the source release all the world's a lab.

The best virus is the one GGJ says has never existed boys and girls. Deep in the fail that stance is. The best virus is the one not YET detected.

I can just imagine the Iranians as their centrifuges spun to oblivion: " GGJ says there's no viruses in the wild for these Siemens PLC's"

Last edited:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Keep in mind, if you can't attack the OS directly, you attack a component frequently installed. Apple doesn't run Oracle's latest Java for a reason.
That's why part of safe computing is to disable Java in your browser until you visit a trusted site that requires it. With current versions of OS X, this is done automatically. The fact remains, there is no malware threat in the wiild that can affect OS X, that cannot be successfully avoided by practicing safe computing, without the need for any third-party antivirus app.
Interesting that the DOD *requires antivirus to be installed on all the systems you listed. They added a requirement for Anti-Virus software to be installed and rated it as a Category I (highest) requirement. Within the DoD, you must follow this checklist in order to get "Authority to Connect" to the network.

Maybe you don't know something they do?
The DOD is not running OS X, but rather Windows, so having antivirus installed would make sense for them.
So, GGJ, with the source release all the world's a lab.

The best virus is the one GGJ says has never existed boys and girls. Deep in the fail that stance is. The best virus is the one not YET detected.

I can just imagine the Iranians as their centrifuges spun to oblivion: " GGJ says there's no viruses in the wild for these Siemens PLC's"
Until a virus has been released in the wild, where it can be encountered by an average Mac user, it poses no threat. If a virus were to be introduced into the wild in the future, it would not affect all Mac users, but rather a very small number, before it is detected, reported, and the Mac community made aware of its presence. In most cases like this, a defense to a new threat is in the hands of most users before they ever encounter the threat. In the case of a "zero day" threat, having an antivirus app installed will not provide any additional protection that isn't already available by practicing safe computing.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2010
located
mac is not like windows in that each os takes a percent of 25% of the userbase,

There are almost 10 mac os'es that people are still using so it is just not worth it to write virues for mac

Then how come, that Mac OS 8 and 9, now referred to as Classic, have had 70 to 80 actual viruses affecting them in the wild while still having a much lower marketshare than Mac OS X has nowadays?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Wrong. OSX is allowed on their networks. And they even just recently approved IOS devices too.
Just because OS X is allowed on their networks doesn't mean that's what most of their users are running.

pastrychef

macrumors 601
Sep 15, 2006
New York City, NY
If I were in charge of IT at the DoD, I would require everyone to install anti-virus software too. I don't care if it's needed or not, I need to cover my behind.

pastrychef

macrumors 601
Sep 15, 2006
New York City, NY
Mac OS X 10.0 Cheetah was released in March 2001. Since that time, there have been people who have cried wolf (mostly anti-viruse software companies), there have been proofs of concept, there have been people who have spread FUD.

Fast forward to today, June, 2013. Over 12 years later and there are still zero viruses in the wild for Mac OS X. I don't take antibiotics when I don't have any infections and I'm not going to install any anti-virus software when there aren't any viruses.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.