Best Free RSS Reader w/ Auto-Updates

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ardpbub, May 11, 2009.

1. ardpbub macrumors newbie

I have been downloading RSS reader after RSS reader for my iPhone but haven't found one suitable that doesn't cost $5 or $10 (im poor). I only need it to do two things, sync with google reader and update automatically.

The reason I want it is so I can be the first person to see new Craigslist posts but the one I have now (RSS Runner) requires you to manually check for new posts.

If anyone can suggest any apps I would be grateful.

Thanks.

2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

3. MikhailT macrumors 601

You want an App right?

Because i strongly suggest using the mobile version of GReader. It is the best RSS reader on iPhone by far for Google Reader.

If you need an offline, then that's a different story. I use Byline for that (not free)

4. foob macrumors 6502

foob

Under your iPhone settings, there is a section for RSS Runner. There you can set it to automatically refresh the feeds on startup so you don't have to manually refresh them.

Beware, I think RSS Runner can only handle 50 new feed items. If there are 60 new posts, you won't see 10.

5. ardpbub thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the posts so far. I checked under settings and you can tell RSS Runner to update when you open the app but what I am looking for is something that checks for new posts every hour or so like the mail app does with e-mail. This also makes the google reader mobile version useless to me.

The idea is I want to be the first person to see new posts on Craigslist via RSS. I guess I will have to break down and purchase an app unless anyone has any other suggestions.

6. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

No app will be able to check for feeds in the background until push notifications are implemented which won't be until 3.0 is released.