Best "free" SMS app

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gasport, Jul 12, 2009.

1. gasport macrumors 6502

gasport

I am sure this has been asked many times but a search turned up tons of post and not very many on subject.

I just started using Google Voice. Right now it is limited by invitation only. There is one app, GV Mobile (free and paid) that is designed to work with GV. The only problem is that the SMS is not push enabled so you have to constantly check your GV Moble account to see if you have a SMS. I was looking for an alternative app that would allow simple SMS with push notification. This can be paid or free, but there seems to be all kinds of comments, good and bad, about the ones I looked at. Does anyone have a good recommendation as I only use it sparingly and did not want to have to pay for the SMS service in ATT and not get much use out of it.

2. Benjic macrumors regular

TextFree Unlimited looks pretty nice, for $5.99 on the app store. The only drawback is that you can't receive anything but replies to messages you send out.

3. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

Textfree is good and what you said is not true.

With textfree you can send and receive messages. Whether you started the convo or not. All you have to do is give the person your @textfree.us address and they can contact you anytime.

4. isaaclimdc macrumors 6502

isaaclimdc

5. covertsurfer macrumors 6502a