Best free texting app for iOS 5?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by Z400Racer37, Mar 27, 2012.

1. Z400Racer37 macrumors 6502a

Hey guys,

I was just wondering what the best free texting ap would be for iOS 5? I'm currently using textie, but whenever i send a text to someone that destine use the app it shows up as a weird cryptic number. the only reason they know its me is because none of their other friends use this app. are there any that will send messages and have my number attached, so it shows up on their phone like it was a regular sms, i.e. with my name and not the mystery numbers? also, textie at this moment will not let me send messages, making me think that their servers are down or something... weird, and its the first time its happened so its not really a big deal, but still, there has to something better. Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks guys

2. ap3604, Mar 27, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  3. Z400Racer37 thread starter macrumors 6502a

hmm just tried that one. looked at the screenshots on the app store and it clearly shows a button to text, but when i tried to use it there was only a call button...

any others you guys like?

4. nutmac macrumors 68040

As far as all the texting apps that I tried, caller ID (phone number the recipient will see) is the app's assigned phone number (either some random number of number that you can pick), not your cell phone number. And as you will soon find out, most people will not update their address book with your new number, especially if they need to call you on a different number.

One semi-solution is to find an app that provides number portability, which lets you transfer mobile phone number to their system. Google Voice provides this service, but for $20 one-time fee. And doing so will terminate your existing cell phone plan, (1) can be subject to early termination fee and (2) will require you to sign up with new cell phone plan (and choose different phone number on the new plan).

My recommendation is to rely on iMessage for people that have iPhone.

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

6. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Won't this have the same problem about needing to use a different number?

I don't think there is a solution for what the OP is asking. It's the exact same reason I never loved any of the 'texting' apps. There's no way around this problem.

Luckily, I know enough people with iPhones so iMessage actually helps me keep my texts way, way down.

7. Teedee macrumors newbie

Viber - only works if your friends also uses this app, it works with iphones and androids.

8. polak9pete macrumors newbie

there's so many of these apps in the app store but not all are free

best one is definately whatsapp messenger it costs a buck
    liveprofile is the same crap but its free but i didn't like it too much
    kik messenger is another
    hookt is another its free

9. TheSlimOne macrumors regular

Text*****. Assigns you a phone number and works pretty well

10. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

WhatsApp is good, again it's available for iOS, Android, and Blackberry and only works if the recipient has the app installed.

11. shawndre macrumors member

Textfree gives you a phone number with your local area code. It works pretty good.

12. Tinmania macrumors 68040

Tinmania

TextFree and TextNow were the best when I looked at them last time around. Both are free, or ad supported, and give an actual phone number (you have to use it a least once a month to not lose that phone number). TextNow can usually send pics (some carriers don't work with it for MMS).

WhatsApp I think more of as a chatting app than texting. It can't send to anything other than another WhatsApp user. So I don't consider that "texting" per se.

Michael

13. Z400Racer37 thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks a lot guys, ill let you know what i think!

14. adddictedtomac macrumors regular

Try Vlingo, works on all OS 5 devices.

See here demo

http://youtu.be/zNbxqFKpp-4

15. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

Duplicate threads merged and moved to correct forum. Please create only one thread per topic in a single forum.