Best free word processor?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ThisIsMyName, Aug 3, 2011.

1. ThisIsMyName macrumors regular

ThisIsMyName

What's the best free word processor, or should I just buy Pages for $20.

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

You could use openoffice, it's got some good funtionality, although I don't think it's in development anymore. I think NeoOffice is the replacement.

3. shwc, Aug 3, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2011

shwc macrumors regular

OpenOffice is still being developed. That said, some of the most active developers forked OpenOffice to create LibreOffice. As I understand it LibreOffice is the one to use as there is more active development. NeoOffice is a JAVA front end laid on top of OpenOffice. NeoOffice is usually using a slightly older release of OpenOffice. Before OpenOffice made a port available for Mac, NeoOffice was the way to go. Now, not so much. Your mileage may vary.

4. X5-452 macrumors 6502

X5-452

As the poster above mentioned, go with LibreOffice. Pages is a fantastic tool; however, I find LibreOffice to be slightly more versatile if you're going to be sharing documents with Windows PCs. Pages has this horrible habit of wanting to constantly export your documents to .doc format if you're trying to go cross-platform.

5. ThisIsMyName thread starter macrumors regular

ThisIsMyName

I went with Libreoffice, looks pretty good so far. This is all thanks to my lion upgrade that made office 2004 unusable. :p

6. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

I've been using LibreOffice Impress for the last two days and I am pulling my hair out. This is a bug-ridden, mostly unusable mess. Every mouse click on a slide gets interpreted as a double click. Very maddening. I keep highlighting, moving and/or deleting elements unintentionally when all I mean to do is click to place a text insertion point or an element selection point. This app is a usability disaster.

7. FrankHahn macrumors 6502a

8. GanChan, Aug 4, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2011

GanChan macrumors 6502a

How would you compare the user experience of the word processors and spreadsheet apps between LibreOffice and NeoOffice? I'm still trying to decide between them....Or are they exactly the same?

9. Gregg2 macrumors 603

This, which one is best depends on what you're going to use it for. A simple, no frills one is Bean. Give it a try.

10. fhaddad macrumors newbie

Pages

I highly recommend you to buy Pages, I am a big fine of MS word and I use it a lot for all my MBA assignments but when I started using Pages I paid the $20 and I think it has everything you need, it's smooth powerful. It is not as good as MS Word but it has everything you need plus it is so smooth and easy to use

11. definitive macrumors 68000

definitive

Having both Ms Office 2011 and iWork 2009, I'd say that MS Word is a much better app of the two. Reason being is that most work places use Windows and Office, so a DOC file is more common. Pages doesn't handle cross-app compatibility too well when it comes to DOC files, and often the files don't look the same in Pages as they should in Word.

For a free version, there's OpenOffice, and I also think that Google has some Docs online word processing app.

12. a.jfred macrumors 6502

I've been using NeoOffice for years, as an alternative to MS Office, and had no problems with it (or cross-compatability). We have Office 2007 at work, and I hate it.

When I decide to upgrade to Lion, I'll probably shell out the $10 for the most recent version of NeoOffice, but I've held off cus the last version works just fine for my needs (and is still free).

13. gtr053 macrumors member

Google Docs

Google Docs is nice. It doesn't have all of the features that OpenOffice and Word has but it suffices. The one thing it has on the others is that it's in the cloud so you can access your files from any device that has an internet browser.

14. Mavimao macrumors 6502a

Mavimao

+1 for bean! The speed of textedit but with much more functionality.

http://www.bean-osx.com/Bean.html

15. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

I use Open Office. I like it, it's a simple load up, you choose what type of document you want to work on, it has a nice interface, etc. It's quite snappy too, not as sluggish as I would have suspected.

16. ScottNWDW macrumors 65816

ScottNWDW

Just get Pages for $20. You'll end up wasting the $20 on other things anyway

17. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

The problems with Pages (and Numbers & Keynote) is that it doesn't have native support for Office documents, so if you have to share with Office users, it becomes a mess.