Best Freeware photo editor?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by cfs, Apr 16, 2008.

1. cfs macrumors 6502a

Hello Forum,

I have searched this forum for my answer before asking but the last time I could find it was asked was back in 2006. Sorry if missed something.

I am looking to add text to some pictures. Nothing professional or anything. Anybody know of a freeware that is compatible with leopard for this?

Cheers,

CFS

2. macdot macrumors 6502

There are a bunch of different apps out there, but I like Skitch (http://skitch.com/) for doing quick photo additions.

3. GoKyu macrumors 65816

GoKyu

Seashore looks like a nice Photoshop-type app, freeware. There's also The Gimp (which looks to have even more features than Seashore, and has definitely been around longer.)

Hope this helps,

-Bryan

4. cfs thread starter macrumors 6502a

5. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

Gimp is deff the best I have used. I lovage it.

6. oxfordguy macrumors 6502a

Adobe Photoshop Express is interesting, its a free online photo editing application and it plays well with Flickr and Picasa etc.

See:

https://www.photoshop.com/express/

7. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

the GIMP is by far the most powerful of the freeware photo editors - it's really not that far behind photoshop. The only downside is that it runs under X11 and its interface can be a little awkward.

8. sunfast macrumors 68020

sunfast

A vote for Seashore here if you don't need all the features of theGIMP. IIRC, seashore is actually based on theGIMP but obviously very cut down

9. cfs thread starter macrumors 6502a

Is the x11 interface confusing to install?
    -cfs

10. sreedy macrumors 6502a

I haven't tried this but I was here reading about AquaGimp last week, I would like to try it instead of messing about with X11.

The download doesn't seem to work, has anyone used this or knows where a download is.

EDIT: Looks like X11 is there by default in Leopard See this thread

11. kfordham281 macrumors 6502

Skitch is great and super fast for adding text to pictures. It's free right now, but will be shareware at some point I believe (once it leaves beta).

12. GoKyu macrumors 65816

GoKyu

Installing X11 is easy (just like any other app...if it's not pre-installed, you can install it from the Leopard disc.)

I had to install X11 because of some other apps, but the weird thing is, you have to run X11 before running the app that it needs....can't you set it up to run in the background at startup? Under Linux, X11 *IS* the windowing system, and you let it boot directly into that environment.

I also wanna figure out a way to kill the xterm that it starts without shutting X11 down altogether...

-Bryan

13. cfs thread starter macrumors 6502a

I am new to macs and am nervous about messing with new programs since I always messed my pc up by doing this. Until I understand x11 I'll have to shy away.

-cfs

14. BlackThunder macrumors member

Everything's freeware if you know where to look and don't have a conscience... otherwise I co-sign the SeaShore option.

15. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

X11 is already preinstalled on Leopard however you have to dig around for the leopard version of gimp.

Gimp is a great app and will cause no harm to your computer

Gimps interface is weird, hardly aqua like but gets the job done

Link to leopard gimp coming soon