Best friend for 15"MBP, ipad2 or MBA?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Cicatrix, Mar 6, 2011.

1. Cicatrix macrumors 6502

I purchased a 2011 15" MBP. I am looking into getting either an ipad2, or a MBA to compliment my setup. Which would be your pick and why? I am thinking the MBA might be kind of homologous since I already have a full size lappy in the MBP. I would really like to be able to take something really light that has nice internet capabilities with me wherever I go, and it seems the ipad2 fits the bill. The MBA is super nice to though. I would like to hear from users of both, and maybe get some insight from a different angle on which one to choose and why.

Thanks for your time and attention Apple folks.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

It boils down to what you want to do with the device. iPad is okay for web surfing and stuff but if you want to work on documents or stuff that require lots of writing, then MBA with real KB will be better. You have a brand new laptop which is still pretty portable so I think iPad would be better for you though

3. Cicatrix thread starter macrumors 6502

Hi, and thank you for taking the time to reply! I do not plan on doing a significant amount of writing with a portable device. Maybe just a little though. As I am very new to the world of Apple products I'm trying to read up on the ipad and just get some over all ideas on what most people do with ipads as well. Is the main purpose of the ipad just for surfing the web, or are there more executable applications that can be done on them as to?

4. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

Return the 15" and get a MBP13. Take the savings and get an external monitor.

Given you don't have "specific" demands, wouldn't a single device make life easier?

5. Mik3F macrumors 6502

Personally I don't see the point in having a MBP and MBA. The iPad will be a better choice if you ask me

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

There are thousands and thousands of apps for the iPad in the App Store. I don't own an iPad so it's hard to say what you can do with it but I think it should be fine for you. It's perfect for web browsing and other more basic tasks. You can always take the MBP with you if you need something more complicated.

7. Cicatrix thread starter macrumors 6502

I should have stated some of the type of applications I work with. I picked up a 15" because I do a lot of audio applications that are processor intensive, so I would benefit from the Quad Core processors. If not for audio work however, I would have more than likely ended up with a MBA.

You are right spot on about one device making life easier though. I actually have 3 pc's right now with stuff scattered all over them. I hate it.

8. Whitelightning macrumors regular

Regardless of how nice the iPad 2 is...
    MBA is better for utility.

I think it would be cool to get both and just use one or the other depending on where your going and how much work you think you will get done.

9. Guy Mancuso macrumors 6502a

Not sure how valid this is for the OP but why. You have a powerhouse for a laptop anything less is just that less. Honestly not much you can't do with a Iphone. get mail , surf and actually talk to someone. I say that in jest as i am not a text person. But to me seems like a waste. I have a I pad here at the house it is my wife's and she has a MBA which I sit here and it baffles me why in the world she has both. Frankly it makes zero sense to me. She uses neither one of them to there fullest. Whereas me my laptop is my life along with my camera's so i have no choice in the matter. But my Iphone is a perfect compliment to my laptop. Its all about your needs no question but just something to think about.

10. Grouchy Bob macrumors regular

Nicely put.

My 13MBP+iPhone combo is about as "complete" a world as I'll ever need. Add a few external peripherals for those times I'm deskbound and I'm all set.

11. Cicatrix thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. You make some excellent points that I will definitely be taking into serious consideration. I actually just started thinking about the iphone right before I read your post. I am thinking about trading in my blackberry curve for an iphone. This should probably be something I should do first, and foremost. I am very sick and tired of the teeny, tiny buttons on the Blackberry phone. My fingers hate me because of them. The iphone is sooo much nicer.
    I guess I should get the iphone, and then see how I like it before I make any other decisions.:)

12. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

MBP 15" + iPad is my route. I would love an iPhone but I'm not up for an upgrade, so if I were to buy one off Craigslist it's $550+ so might as well get an iPad...

13. Guy Mancuso macrumors 6502a

Now add to this if you have a mobile me account your calendar, notes, emails, addresses are all in sync with each other and either device has the same data as the other. Plus you will be needing your laptop to setup and control the Iphone. So together they make a great marriage and on top of all that they don't argue. LOL

Just something to think about . The Ipad certainly has its place but to be honest i find it somewhat uncomfortable to deal with when I am surfing on the couch. I actually own and run a forum (photo) such as this actually same software but I am able to run it off my Iphone a lot.

14. dagamer34 macrumors 65816

dagamer34

2 separate laptops seems silly. It means that the "larger" laptop is acting more like a desktop at that point because you're basically telling me you aren't willing to carry it around everywhere.

More plausable solutions:

1) 15" MBP + iPad
    2) iMac + MBA

15. Lumpydog macrumors 6502

I just bought a MBP 15inch to replace my MBA. Reason: I have an iPad and the MBA/iPad were basically identical in how I used them.

I found that, after getting the iPad - when I used he MBA, I wanted it to perform more like a MBP - photoshop, Lightroom, etc. I also found that the iPad nearly completely replaced my use of the MBA.

Go for the iPad....

16. Bigmacduck macrumors regular

17. kobyh15 macrumors 6502a

I'll throw my vote in for the iPad. And if you have to have a tactile keyboard, then definitely the 11" Air. That would give you some difference in the big boy (15" MBP) and the portable (11" Air).

18. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

totally agree with this. MBP + MBA seems really redundant, IMO.

19. jvmxtra macrumors 65816

jvmxtra

If u were programmer than mbo n mba.... if not mbp n ipad 2

20. the_fellowship macrumors regular

I would go with the iPad or iPhone, why have 2 laptops? Your MPB should be sufficent for the power hungry tasks, and the iPhone/iPad should tick the portability box. If you're not too fussed about the new iPad 2, you can get some real good deals on the refurb iPad 1

21. Robin Chung macrumors member

Robin Chung

Get a MacBook air if you want to do any ultra-portable work. The iPad isn't capable of work. Just typing is exhausting sometimes because theres no user feedback. Plus the whole web at your fingertips... Somewhat. Because a lot of sites (incl non-flash) are still slightly off using idevices.

Here's a review of the MBA 13" w/ 4gb. Maybe it helps.

MacBook Air 13 review

So recap:

fun = iPad 2
    Prod. = MBA 11/13

22. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

Since OP's asking about a companion with 15" why can't the 15" be used for productivity? then it would make the MBA less worth it.. $1000 is a lot when you're already dropping twice that much for a 15" that can also be portable.

23. shstiger2009 macrumors 6502

Get the iPad. When you know you need something to keep you occupied for maybe 30 minutes, an hour, etc. and you want to simply surf the web, you'll be glad you got the iPad. Having 2 laptops seems redundant to me. I just got a 13" Air and am getting an iPad 2 on Friday, or sometime this weekend... :D

24. baxnet macrumors member

baxnet

I've got to be honest, it boils down to what you're going to be using the "companion" for.

If you (as someone stated earlier) are going to be using it for more of a work-related device, you're not going to want an iPad. The MBA will do fine for airline travel, couch surfing, short meetings, etc.

If you want something extra to play some games (apps) on, get an iPad. If you need a nifty portable notepad to go with it, it's the right choice.

Basically, if you plan on using the other device for anything data-intensive/work requiring a decent amount of documentation or word processing, go MBA. Head to an Apple Store and see which one is going to suit your needs. The last thing you need is an iPad that doesn't do enough for you or a MBA that does too much.

It should be noted that I'm an iPhone user, so unless I won or am outright given an iPad, I wouldn't purchase one.