Best FTP App?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by qwimjim, Mar 25, 2011.

1. qwimjim macrumors regular

looking for something simple, open the app and it starts the ftp server, or just has a "start" button. for my mom, has to be simple. i can set it up with login/password but after i leave it has to be dead simple for her to open so i can access her ipad remotely

2. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Cyberduck

For a more complicated one, Filezilla.

3. darngooddesign macrumors G3

4. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Forget my previous post. Forgot I was in the iPad thread. Haha. I agree with the poster above though, Dropbox might be a much easier solution.

5. qwimjim thread starter macrumors regular

no because dropbox doesn't actually download the files onto the ipad, it just lists the contents and each file is downloaded individually when opened. i want to store photo albums on the ipad

6. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Hmm. Setup iTunes to Sync photos from within the Dropbox folder. Then you can upload photos to the Dropbox website or to your own computer if its set to sync too. Then whenever she syncs it'll load the current photos off the Dropbox.

7. deeddawg macrumors 604

Have you considered using MobileMe Gallery for this purpose?

8. qwimjim thread starter macrumors regular

mobileme costs money, so no :)

9. cue003 macrumors member

Ok this may appear complicated at first but it could be done somewhat easily if setup correctly to begin with.

It requires one app on the iPad and one "app" on your machine.

Use Dropbox desktop client to create a MAIN FOLDER in the cloud
    -- this is where you will put your subfolders and all your pics etc.

One your moms Ipad, download and install goodreader app.

In goodreader YOU (not mom), will setup and automatic sync option to sync with the MAIN Dropbox folder you created. This must be done once to initiate the sync information and store it for future use....

With the automatic sync setup you will also tell goodreader where you want the "items" to be stored locally on the goodreader folder structure.

Then you can start uploading content to your MAIN folder and then all MOM will need to do on ipad is open the goodreader app and find the sync button... then press the sync button in good reader to sync with the folder you told it to and it will pull everything in the folder down to her ipad and place it into a folder/directory that you determine.

She can then view the photos in a slideshow or whatever the case maybe from WITHIN goodreader.

Unfortunately there is no way to do this with the standard photos app. She will however have all the files downloaded on her system and won't need to be online once it is complete.

See the following for the detailed instructions.
    http://goodreader.net/gr-man-tr-servers.html#sync

10. deeddawg macrumors 604

Messing with a complicated setup and doing remote tech support for a parent costs time.

All depends on which is in greater supply I guess. :D