Best FW800 *SILENT* external HDD for time machine

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by xtopiana, Oct 8, 2011.

1. xtopiana macrumors newbie

I really need an external HDD for my iMac 27" i just bought last week. I straight away went on to eBay and bought myself an enclosure for a 3.5 SATA drive to use, however after actual use i found that.

1. It is extremely HOT
    2. It is extremely NOISEY
    3. It has a big-ass power supply
    4. It does not look anything like my iMac so I hide it away :(
    5. Turned off after a while of inactivity, so never actually was able to use time machine with it.

So it needs to look good, preferable aluminium, and be very VERY quiet.
    Oh and I would prefer a FW800 interface too!

Thanks alot, its my first post :S

2. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Why aluminium? I am happy with portable Seagate Free Agent GoFlex..it is so small and feel quiet...it also offer several cable upgrade like USB 2.0 and 3.0 plus also with FW800!!

3. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

Before I went to my Time Capsule, I used a 2TB Western Digital My Book Studio LX and it was quiet, fast (FW800), cool (temperature-wise) and the silver plastic blended in with my Macintosh products.

4. Brian33 macrumors 6502a

I don't have one, but I've seen many recommendations for OWC's Mercury Elite Pro Quad Interface enclosure (also available with various size drives installed). Not cheap, but it uses an Oxford bridge chipset which I think is considered "name brand", and something I looked for.

Keep in mind that noise will depend a lot upon what drive is in the enclosure -- there's a big difference in loudness between different drives!

Regards,
    Brian33