Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Sep 3, 2016
Always a fun build video to revisit. It reminds me of the shiny Battlestar Galctica Cylon baddies. :D

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
I've seen this project before, the SATA II SSDs in RAID are what really make it special. That, and the fact he has real-time stats up for this Mac here proving it's still being used today (despite the video upload date of May 2015).

iModFrenzy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2015
Kamino
I'm not the biggest fan of chrome but I have to say he did an awesome job painting it, and with the whole build in general. Makes me want a G5 even more :p

hopefully the G5 lasts long and has stats up for a while, would be cool to check the stats out years later and see it running still.

It's probably obvious but I quickly watched the video just to see what it looked like(no audio or anything) but what is the G5 being used for?

raymanster

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2008
UK
I'm not the biggest fan of chrome but I have to say he did an awesome job painting it, and with the whole build in general. Makes me want a G5 even more :p

hopefully the G5 lasts long and has stats up for a while, would be cool to check the stats out years later and see it running still.

It's probably obvious but I quickly watched the video just to see what it looked like(no audio or anything) but what is the G5 being used for?

He installed Debian Linux and uses it to host his website. Very cool, if you get a moment watch it again with sound.

His tour video of the same machine is also good:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.