Best gaming mice

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by hosko, Mar 31, 2010.

1. hosko macrumors newbie

I'm looking at getting a new gaming mouse, I really like the Logitech G500 however it doesn't have OSX drivers. Can anyone recommend a good gaming mouse

Cheers,

2. Blow up tre1 macrumors member

Mice.

G500!!! Have you read all the reviews saying to get the G5!!! I bought the G5 (before the G500 came out) and love it, but it isn't the best for MAC gaming as the side buttons can only be set to expose without something such as steermouse or usboverdrive. (<-they don't work with Logitech Control Center [LCC] Caus it overrides them-used for logitech wireless keyboards/ logitech wireless mice)
    I would look into razer myself for a new mouse.Note that with all the razer mice if you have a windows partition or access to a windows computer you can program the buttons to do anything, then they will stay that on ANY computer-even mac. Also have drivers for some of their other mice, but don't know much about them.
    Check out lots of reviews before buying, and remember, It's YOU who has to live with it everyday.

3. Hmac macrumors 68020

I have a G500 on my Mac Pro with Snow Leopard. It's a great mouse. I wasn't sure I'd like the weights, but I do. Nice form factor, the darkfield laser works great on a smooth desktop, and I prefer a wired mouse.

Don't know about drivers - I just plugged mine in to my Mac Pro and it worked fine. No drivers required, unless there's something in the Logitech Game Pad software that I installed at the same time. All the main buttons and the scroll wheel work normally. Thumb button #3 brings up Expose as normal, although thumb buttons 1 and 2 don't appear to do anything. Works perfectly with the Mouse pane in System Preferences, including Control-wheel zooming. The buttons are all normally programmable in COD4 Mac, COD 4 Windows, WAW, MW2, and BFBC2, including thumb buttons 1 and 2.

4. MacbookWoo macrumors member

I dont game so I cannot tell you about which mouse is best, BUT I can tell you one thing, get this mouse pad it is unreal man I have the new magic mouse by apple and at first I absolutely hated it, the thing flat out sucked, I got this mouse pad and it made the mouse so awesome... You will not be disappointed trust me.... Gaming Mouse pad made by RocketFish

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Rocketf...lack/8240405.p?id=1168044601670&skuId=8240405

5. bluskale macrumors regular

I have a G5 and I like it a lot... I actually ended up getting another one last year (after using my original one for 3 or 4 years) so that I could stop carrying the mouse around with me between home & the lab. I did end up buying USB Overdrive (and then Steermouse, when USB overdrive looked like it was falling to the wayside for a while, but I digress) shortly after buying the mouse, so that I could program the buttons to something more useful. Works great for WoW.

Oddly enough, cut, copy, and paste are completely awesome shortcuts to have on those extra mouse buttons when editing text documents, and the above drivers have application specific settings so you can set them to your liking for gaming purposes.

I've never used any of the logitech drivers. I believe they were using Unsanity's stuff for a while (without mentioning this to the user on installation or anywhere). Having outdated Unsanity software installed (eg, Logitech's mouse software) rendered fresh Leopard upgrade installs unbootable, so I imagine their drivers are better written now (although I honestly have no idea).

6. hosko thread starter macrumors newbie

I have looked at the Razer mouses. The early front runner was the Razer Imperator laser mouse but I read about an issue where it drops down and to the right if you pick it up and put it down. So I have been reading up about the Razer DeathAdder V2 which I've only read good things about and comes with Mac drivers.

Currently I'm swaying towards it over the Logitech offerings. I already have a Logitech G13 Gamepad as the Apple keyboards aren't very good for gaming.

7. jbyun04 macrumors 6502a

jbyun04

Razer DeathAdder Mac. Hands down the best mouse I've ever used. Although the Magic Mouse is strangely growing on me.. Don't think it would be good for gaming though.

8. steerpikegg macrumors member

Razer Diamondback here - absolutely fantastic mouse and no drivers needed.

9. hosko thread starter macrumors newbie

Apart from the colours and the drivers is there any difference between the V2 DeathAdder and the Mac DeathAdder.

10. hellfire88 macrumors 6502

I've heard that you can use the Razer drivers for the Mac Deathadder on non-Mac version Deathadders. Don't quote me on that though lol. I don't actually have one (I use a Logitech G9 which I like quite a bit).

11. jbyun04 macrumors 6502a

jbyun04

is v2 the one that's got 3500 dpi? i know the mac one is 1800dpi. as far as i know, if you want your mouse to work on mac osx you need to get the mac version so other than that i don't think there's a difference.

12. hosko thread starter macrumors newbie

I just had a look on the Razer website and in the support section it has

Q: Will the DeathAdder 3500 work on my Mac?
    A: Yes, we have a Mac driver for the DeathAdder 3500. It is available for download at www.razersupport.com

So I'm going to go with the DeathAdder V2

Thanks to everyone for their input

13. Arrandale macrumors regular

Razr makes the best gaming peripherals. Logitech pales in comparison. They usually have a hefty price tag though. At least they all work with OS X.

14. Arrandale macrumors regular

Haha the magic mouse is horrible for gaming... the click is sticky, right-clicking is unreliable and it's impossible to cup the damn thing in your hands.. it's so thin. Plus the double AA batteries give the mouse a very unpleasant heft.

15. Hmac macrumors 68020

I dont' agree. I've had various Razrs going back to the days of Quake III and just never could warm up to them. The current crop of Razrs are great mice, I'm sure, but In all those years, this Logitech G500 is by far the best gaming mouse I've used.

I respect your opinion, but it's just an opinion, not a universal truth.

16. Nickmack macrumors newbie

Hi,

Aren't the thumb buttons 1 and 2 for DPI changes? Can you actually do the DPI changes on the fly on a mac with the G500?

17. gumbyx84 macrumors 6502

gumbyx84

I vote for MX518 and USB Overdrive for customization. I've had issues with Steermouse in the past, but when it worked, it worked wonderfully.

18. Hmac macrumors 68020

There are three thumb buttons. The resolution is changed by the two buttons below left-click and run by the index finger. The LEDs indicate resolution and yes, that can be changed on the fly on the Mac without loading any drivers, or any software at all.

[​IMG]

19. H00513R macrumors 6502a

H00513R

I've had good success with the Razr Copperhead.

20. Funkatronic macrumors 6502

Funkatronic

During my avid gaming days, i switched between the Logitech G5 / G7 and the Deathadder, and I must say, the DA's tracking is flawless.

Been using the Razer Mamba for the past year or so, both on Windows and now on OSX, and it is pretty damn good aswell.

21. hoonu macrumors regular

I have the same mouse and I'm using Steermouse and I cannot get the 3 thumb button to work. I want it to pull up expose and I can not get it to detect in OSX for the life of me.

22. iamrawr macrumors 6502

iamrawr

Razer Orochi

1. it's bluetooth. doesn't take up a USB port
    2. it has a wired option
    3. efficient battery life
    4. 2000dpi wireless & 4000dpi wired
    5. lights up. looks cool
    6. compact portable ambidextrous design

cons:
    1. price? $60-$80 (do some surfing)
    2. limited mac drivers
    3. reviewers say it has an annoying habit of sleeping after 2 seconds of no movement

enjoy :D