Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AcidX

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
XP always runs way hotter and chews through my battery life faster then Vista/Win 7 does on my MBP.
I noticed XP ran hot on my friends MBP as well.

Would Windows 7 home/basic edition be ok for just gaming?
Or will there be some performance settings I won't get to tweak, etc.
I'll have a proper look at it after the release.

Thanks for all the help.

As for the studies/gaming combo... Well I've managed it ever since we got our SNES. I only ever let gaming take over once 2 years back, when I was depressed about a family loss, but I'm paying for this now and it has been a life long dream.
I'm more concerned by the partying aspect. It's a whole new place full of whole new faces!
Also that... Living on bread and water thing that students do.

Thanks again peeps!
Some great advice in this place~

drjsway

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2009
+1. You'll never have to play games on low settings.

???

All XBOX 360 games run at "low settings" compared to PC games. The 360 has four year old hardware and most games only run at 1280x720. Consoles don't come close to PCs in terms of graphics.

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
???

All XBOX 360 games run at "low settings" compared to PC games. The 360 has four year old hardware and most games only run at 1280x720. Consoles don't come close to PCs in terms of graphics.

cost of ownership over that period is much lower though to get those kinds of fps :)

mossme89

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2009
Am i the only one who expierences hiccups when playing games (I've tried COD2 & 4) natively on OSX, compared to windows? I have the 9600, but even with it turned on through the high performance mode, i have to have the resoulution 1024 X 768 or lower with all settings on low-medium to run smoothly.

Does OS X just suck for gaming?

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
Am i the only one who expierences hiccups when playing games (I've tried COD2 & 4) natively on OSX, compared to windows? I have the 9600, but even with it turned on through the high performance mode, i have to have the resoulution 1024 X 768 or lower with all settings on low-medium to run smoothly.

Does OS X just suck for gaming?

seems like blizzard are the only guys willing to put the time and money into porting games correctly to osx, but even they can't get fps parity with windows. Windows definitely seems to have an advantage when it comes to games..but who knows what snow leopard will do to that equation. Even so, for the foreseeable future, windows or consoles are the way to go for gaming.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.