Best GAMING video driver for 27" iMac in Windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Verxion, Jan 4, 2010.

1. Verxion macrumors member

Can someone tell me the best driver for GAMING on a 27" iMac in Windows 7?

Thanks,

-Verxion

2. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

The one that Apple hasn't released yet. Windows 7 is not yet supported with Boot Camp 3 drivers.

3. ryannazaretian macrumors 6502a

ryannazaretian

Is there something funny with the 27" iMac that makes it completely incompatible with Boot Camp? Apple doesn't support Windows 7 yet, but I've been running it just fine on my Late 2008 MacBook Pro since it released. No support, yet it just works (Unlike Snow Leopard.)

Verxion, have you installed Windows 7 yet? Can you go online with it yet? If so, download the latest video driver from http://www.amd.com/us/Pages/AMDHomePage.aspx

You'll see the dialog to select your video card on the right side. You have either the ATI Radeon HD 4670 or the ATI Radeon HD 4850.

4. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

New and different hardware? Different platform, different CPU, etc. I would presume would be the major cause of angst with Windows 7 on a new iMac.

5. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

Because Windows 7 is totally different from Vista that bootcamp drivers would work for one but not the other....
    Wait wasn't everyone just recently complaining that W7 was just a service pack for Vista? If that is so true then why can't the drivers from bootcamp work with W7?

6. chill. macrumors 6502

why would apple's video driver be the best? they are always out of date. get the latest stuff direct from ati/nvidia or whatever

7. ryannazaretian macrumors 6502a

ryannazaretian

Aren't there Bootcamp drivers for Vista and XP on the 27" iMac? The Vista drivers at least got me connected to the internet on my MacBook Pro, then I went ahead and updated all the other drivers.

If anything, you could get on another machine and download the drivers, put them on a flash drive, and drop them on the 27" iMac assuming the USB ports work, and if not, burn them to CD.

There are already PC's running Windows 7 with the same hardware, no reason why the iMac should be any different.

8. Travisimo macrumors 6502a

I'm having pretty good results with Windows 7 in Boot Camp without any special drivers. I had to do the external monitor trick to get Windows 7 to install, but once I did that, it automatically downloading a ATI 4850 driver and it's working just fine.

I'm running Crysis with all High settings, though I do have to lower the resolution to something like 1600x900. At full resolution, the game slows down quite a bit. Other less demanding games run very good at full resolution.

I'm not really expecting to get better results when Apple releases new boot camp drivers, but maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised?

I'm also running a good number of casual games with Windows 7 in Parallels and they run just fine. I'm talking games like Plants vs Zombies, Defense Grid, and the like. Demanding 3D games obviously need to be run in Boot camp.

Any other experiences?