Best gaming wireless headset for a Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by iRock1, Nov 29, 2013.

1. iRock1 macrumors 6502a

iRock1

Hi!

As odd as it sounds, I regularly play on my Mac (mostly COD4, some other shooters and SC2).

I was wondering, what's my best choice when it comes to buy a wireless headset for my iMac? Also, should it say something on the box or any BT headset will do the job?

BTW I don't want to spend a lot of money on this. Any decent brand will do the job, as I'm not a pro gamer and actually I don't play 24/7

Thanks!

2. iRock1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

iRock1

3. jedolley macrumors 68000

Do you want the headset just for chat or do you want to hear game sounds through it as well?

If just for chat, then just about any bluetooth headset would be fine. Obviously, some will be better than others and I don't have a specific recommendation here.

If you are wanting chat and game sounds then there are a bunch of options (i'll mention a few).

Turtle Beach makes several Mac compatible wireless headsets (can't really speak to the quality though). Astro A50s are really good, but pricey. Which brings me to my current headset and recommendation, SkullCandy PLYR1. I know that SkullCandy has a reputation with their earphones as being flashy junk, but their gaming headsets are actually designed/made by Astro. I got the PLYR1 for $130 at BestBuy and am very happy with them. I have them hooked up to both my PS4 and rMBP. They sound great, are comfortable, and the mic works great.

4. Flying Teapot macrumors newbie

I have an iMac. I use a Plantronics Audio 995 http://www.plantronics.com/us/product/audio-995
    I paid around $50 for it. It's not bluetooth, uses a USB receiver.

My friend and I both got one. It works well enough. We use it with TeamSpeak when we're playing games like Borderlands 1, Left 4 Dead 1 & 2 and Serious Sam 3 BFE.

Whenever I buy headphones I'm always worried about them being too tight. These made my ears hurt after an hour or so, but I found a box of just the right size a little wider than my head to stretch them out for a day and now I can wear them for hours with no problem.

The battery is supposed to last around 8 hours on a full charge.

5. iRock1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

iRock1

Basically I'm blind on this topic, so I took your advice and I just bought the PLYR1 (though I had to pay around US$ 180). I hope this will cover my needs. :D