Best GMail Push Notification app?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by legaleye3000, Nov 4, 2009.

1. legaleye3000 macrumors 65816

2. carson44 macrumors member

3. Shark131 macrumors member

Well I think gpush is the best. Unfortunately at this moment apparently they are having issues. But when they fix it, it is flawless.

4. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

5. Uabcar macrumors 6502

I've been using gpush for a few months now and it seems to be working fine for me. I've not noticed any emails where I've not gotten a pop-up notification. There is supposed to be an update soon that will include quiet hours and the option to auto launch the native iPhone mail app.

I've not tried the others so I can't comment on the pro and cons relative to the others.

6. legaleye3000 thread starter macrumors 65816

I'm not looking to use Exchange for GMail due to not only batt, but some known issues such as "deleting an email on your phone will NOT delete it on your GMail account. It will archive the email."

Anyway, GPush seems to be the most popular but I hear conflicting reports as to how it is working for people.

7. GFSarah macrumors regular

GFSarah

Just adding my $0.02 ...

I got Gpush and LOVED it, too ... at least until a few weeks ago. It really is the greatest thing when it works and it DID work perfectly for me for quite a while. Then one day a few weeks ago it just quit working and my attempts at workarounds come up pointing to server issues as others have said. I really hope they get it back up and running soon because as I said, I loved it. Like you mentioned, I didn't want to set up the exchange account and all that mess (and I like having a separate button for my two different email accounts - setting up as exchange would kill that idea). I checked out other things and decided to just wait until Gpush was released, and when it was working, I never regretted it.

If and when it gets fixed, I'd highly recommend Gpush ... but unfortunately I'm hesitant to recommend it when it's not working at all.

8. Drewsky87 macrumors 6502

Drewsky87

I have PushGmail and think it's great. I usually get my emails within 1-2 seconds of them being sent. Have never had any issues with it either.

9. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

I had neither issue using the Exchange. You can always try it since its free.

10. legaleye3000 thread starter macrumors 65816

Prime-

The deleting issue is stated on under known issues on Google's own website.

If you're on your phone and you delete an email from within the Mail app (not on gmail.com in Safari), the email really will not be deleted. It will be archived...

That bugs me... If they fix that one issue (and a couple other issues with Calendar), I will switch to using Exchange.

11. Uabcar macrumors 6502

coincidently, I just got a pop-up 'System Message' from GPush saying the server is going to be down for an hour. I hope this maintenance fixes everyones recent problems.

Anyone else get this?

12. medicscott macrumors 6502a

medicscott

13. Uabcar macrumors 6502

the ones discussed so far in this thread are available for non JB iPhones via the app store.

14. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

Meaning it goes in to the trash folder, right? Because that's what I got out of it and I thought all email systems work that way. You delete it, it goes to the trash and from there you can put it back into any other folder or delete it permanently.

15. legaleye3000 thread starter macrumors 65816

From what I understood, it just gets archived under "all mail." Maybe I'm wrong...? Read the known issues on Google's page and let me know what you think.

If it really does go to the trash folder, and gets deleted within 30 days like all other trash, then that would be good :)

16. 1984world macrumors 6502

1984world

Gpush works great here in Canada. I'm on Rogers Network and no issues with it. I have a blackberry Storm on the Telus Network and when I send an email from one of my accounts to another, I get the one on the iphone about a second before i get the one on my blackberry, so I can't complain. It had a few issues at first, but since then, no problems whatsoever. :)

17. techiegirl macrumors 6502a

techiegirl

PushMail works very well. I was skeptical at first, but they have proven me wrong. PushMail hasn't missed an email at all.

18. bozzykid macrumors 68020

No, it doesn't go into trash when you delete it over exchange. It goes into the "All Mail" folder. A work around is to just move the email to the Trash folder instead of deleting.

19. legaleye3000 thread starter macrumors 65816

I just installed GPush and for some reason it doesn't take my username and pw. I tried with @gmail.com and without... Weird...

20. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

21. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

+1

22. soulghost macrumors regular

soulghost

+2.....it does gmail and hotmail, and you can have multiple accounts

23. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

The next version will support IMAP and POP accounts too.....

S-

24. erasat macrumors member

I'm beta testing Mail Notifier 2.0 and let me tell you, BEST Push mail you can find outthere. It pushes Hotmail, AOL, Gmail, Imap and POP accounts. It still has some minor issues (at least with my POP accounts) but for the rest, almost perfect.

25. ozziegn macrumors 6502a

ozziegn

another vote for do push mail. I've had 100% reliability with it and Gmail since day one.