Best GPS App for iPhone?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by thehopscotch, Jun 22, 2010.

1. thehopscotch macrumors regular

thehopscotch

I have read a few online reviews of TomTom, Navigon, etc, but all reviews I've found seem to be older, and I have yet to find any recent information. I did a search and couldn't find anything recent in the forums either.

For those of you on here using a GPS app for your iPhone...which is your favorite app?

Extra points for you, if you include why its the best!

2. bmms8 macrumors 68020

i prefer navigon.. i have not used tom tom, but i think the overall consensus is that navigon is still a better product. one thing i do like about navigon is that they release updates often. 1.6 should be coming out soon which will play nicely with back grounding. i dont need the points so ill keep it short :p

my best advice is to check youtube.. it solves all the answers all the time.

3. thehopscotch thread starter macrumors regular

thehopscotch

Thanks for the info! :)

4. amann76 macrumors 6502

amann76

navigon is the best the only thing i dont like about it is it keeps screaming "caution" when you are driving above the speed limits

5. vivithemage macrumors 6502a

vivithemage

When I was looking, I just checked youtube for tom tom, Magellan, and navigon's version.

I got navigon and it's worked great, even in big cities. Love the panoramic 3D view too.

6. vivithemage macrumors 6502a

vivithemage

You can turn that off, or bump the speed in which it will warn you.

In navigon :

MORE - > OPTIONS ->SPEED LIMITS (under General)

You'll see the acoustic options in there. I set urban and rural to never warn.

7. amann76 macrumors 6502

amann76

i prefer to ignore it like i ignore a lady friend when she complains about the speeds i drive

8. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

I just bought Tom Tom. It's $49.99 for US + Canada or just $39.99 for US only. You really can't beat this price, even if it's a dud.

9. Kenal0 macrumors regular

Another vote for Navicon. I have not had any issues with it. Works great.
    Kenal0

10. vivithemage macrumors 6502a

vivithemage

I have it plugged into my car audio, so it's REALLY annoying. It muffles the music that's playing, then yells CAUTION..so disabling it was the only way I wanted it, haha.

11. S1njin macrumors 6502a

S1njin

I was wondering the same thing - was going to go TomTom due to name recognition. Navigon is the better product though?

12. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

I don't know if this means anything, but I read that Navigon runs like crap on the 3G and TomTom runs fine. Is TomTom less of a resource/RAM hog? I picked TomTom based on this too.

13. brvheart macrumors 6502

I bought TOM TOM and wished that I had gotten Magellan or Navigon. They seem to be more polished and from what I read are just as accurate if not more accurate. I am not going to spend more money on another app, but if I had to do it over again I would get one of the two already mentioned.

14. thehopscotch thread starter macrumors regular

thehopscotch

15. IronLogik macrumors 6502

TomTom is pretty nice. I haven't used Navigon or any of the others. But I can't say I'm complaining at all about TomTom. Certainly a few things I wish it did.

1. I wish I could pinch to zoom in and out on the map view (Does Navigon do this?)
    2. I wish address entering was easier.. it currently goes through a process of entering building number, street name, blah blah blah. Just seems like there'd be a better way.

I'm sure there's a few more but those are my bigger gripes with the app. It serves its purpose quite well though.

16. JoeCool71 macrumors member

Really like the Tom-Tom

I have the TT app with the car kit. I got the car kit because I was having serious issues with the accuracy of the on-board gps on the iphone. The car kit solved that and gave me better volume for the turn by turn. You can use any nav app with it.

The TT nav app in general is good. I can do everything that i want with it and it seems to route better than my stand alone Garmin. I actually did a side-by-side on a trip between Harrisburg, PA and Niagara Falls. The TT planned a better, faster route and accurately predicted when I would get there.

Not many gripes here. The only issue that I have noticed is that after about 3-4 hours of driving, it will freeze up. Exit and re-open and its fine.

A couple of good things... all maps are loaded with the app, so you are not dependent upon a network connection to get maps. Excellent if you go to canada and dont wnt to pay data roaming.

In-app google searches will help you find ANY POI. Very helpful in unfamiliar territory.

Real-time traffic avoidance costs extra, but worth it IMO if you travel alot.

Have not tried Navigon, so cannot compare.

17. JoeCool71 macrumors member

1. Pinch to zoom works in the TT. Just tried it.

2. If you find the address online, add it as a contact. you can pick it right out of your contact list. If I know I wint use it again, i will just delete it later. But that is the only 'easy' way I have found. The Bldg #... method is consistent with how my stand-alone garmin worked. Didn''t like that either but it was a necessary evil, i guess.

18. IronLogik macrumors 6502

Yea I tried the pinch to zoom stuff and it does indeed work. I was going to update my original post but MacRumors appears unable to handle the traffic loads lately and the page refused to load so I gave up.

Yea the entry method "works" but i don't have to like it. Google Maps has a much better way of finding addresses. Wish TomTom would do something similar.

19. ac4lt macrumors member

ac4lt

I haven't tried any of the navigation apps yet since I've been happy with my garmin gps, but with iOS 4, it may be time to give them a try.

For those that like navigon, why? Does it speak street names when you approach turns. I find this a major benefit of my garmin and I wouldn't want to give the feature up.

Has anyone seen a detailed comparison of the navigation apps out there? I saw some back when the apps first came out but haven't seen anything more recent.

20. IronLogik macrumors 6502

Honestly I don't think you can really go wrong with any of the major two. Navigon or TomTom. I'd get whichever happens to be cheaper.

21. jeffp macrumors member

22. bndoarn macrumors 6502a

I can't say which is the best because I've only used TomTom but I must say that I have never had a problem with it. It was tough for me to pick as well but I went with TomTom because 1) IMO TomTom looks better and 2) either way I was going to buy the TomTom car kit so I figured that the TomTom app would be more reliable for future reference with it even though it says you can use it with other apps.

23. ianray macrumors 6502

Hi,

I am the developer of Dashometer, which is a GPS 'Dashboard' -type application.

You can see navigation-related information in an elegant dashboard-like display, and simply tap to customise the displayed values and units.

EDIT: Sorry, this thread seems to be specifically about GPS Navigation Apps. Once again, sorry for hijacking.

- Ian