Best GPS app for VZW?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by whiteyanderson, Feb 9, 2011.

1. whiteyanderson macrumors 6502

Anyone decide on the best GPS app for VZW yet? One that works offline so you do not have to interrupt calls. I wanted Motion X but, I still haven't figured out if it works while in a call or not.

2. psyduckiee macrumors regular

Hey, what do you mean one that does not interrupt calls?

3. digitard macrumors 6502a

digitard

I think he meant one that doesn't use the data network for it's data in general.

Navigon and TomTom's apps are both highly rated. I've been using Navigon w/o issue so far, but I've only touched on it.

4. C0bra K0mmander macrumors regular

C0bra K0mmander

i use tomtom and love it.never had a problem with it crashing on me or getting me lost. very accurate

5. whiteyanderson thread starter macrumors 6502

Like Digitard said, one that doesn't use data. In other words it works off line with the GPS signal so there is no interruption when a call comes in. If you had a VZW smartphone like a Droid with Google Nav it worked in the same way.

Some of the cheaper nav apps rely on a data connection. Just wondering if Motion X did also.

6. kicko, Feb 10, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2011

kicko macrumors 65816

I highly miss the gps from google maps on my android so i have been looking for a iphone solutuion, so far tom tom seems to have the most favored from what have read.

**I just noticed most of the NAV apps are on sale!

7. bmms8 macrumors 68020

8. kleinias macrumors regular

TomTom really is quite good, especially if you buy the traffic add on. I have both Navigon and TomTom (just my opinion of course) and while they are both quite good, TomTom's traffic feature is better implemented and provides slightly superior coverage as well. In the end though, either TomTom or Navigon would be good values at the prices they are set at currently.

9. kicko, Feb 10, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2011

kicko macrumors 65816

thanks for your input ;) I was torn between the 2. I think i will just go with tomtom. No one even mentions garmin but i have seen a youtube review facing off tomtom vs. garmin both were similar but tomtom edged out the victory.

Do you know if the traffic subscription is locked to the device or the app? i have 2 iphones under the same itunes account so i can install the app on both

10. LiquidZed macrumors newbie

I have both Navigon and TomTom and I slightly prefer Navigon because it doesn't seem to nag me as much about directions. TomTom is a bit more verbal about everything, so it depends on what you want. TomTom seems to load faster on my iPhone, but I haven't timed them or anything. They are both good applications though. They have seemed to "One Up" each other over the past year, so either one is a good bet... Navigon is cheaper right now though. You can't go wrong with either one..

-Jason

Now for a shameless plug...
    My App on the App Store works well with Navigon, and I have a version submitted that works with TomTom that should be available soon (so I'm not biased in my review of them, I use them both a lot). My App allows cutting and pasting of addresses from anywhere in the iPhone, local search, display of contacts on the map, etc. It just makes looking for where you want to go, and then navigating to it in TomTom or Navigon much easier. I developed the App originally for myself because I was annoyed with both TomTom and Navigon on how much of a pain it is to enter addresses into it, or see where local search results are.

Check it out if you are interested on the App Store by searching for "NavAssist". The TomTom version isn't out yet, hopefully next week.

11. nutmac macrumors 68040

Both Tom Tom and Navigon are having a sale for limited time.

Navigons are 50% off: east US and west US are $14.99 each, entire US is $24.99, US and Canada are $29.99. In-app purchases are 25% off: $14.99 for lifetime traffic (I wouldn't bother with other add-ons).

Tom Tom is $34.99 for US only and $39.99 for US and Canada. 12-month traffic is $19.99.

I picked Navigon because (1) much cheaper (especially since traffic is for life time) and (2) iPhone and iPad universal. The routing seems good for the most part with good voice assist. On the minus side, it gets a bit slow from time to time and the UI is a bit of a mess.

12. BadaBing!! macrumors 6502

BadaBing!!

I own TomTom and like it very much. However, Navigon being only $30 makes me want to buy it anyway.. It looks to have some more features and is now Universal...

Anyone knows if TomTom is supposed to go universal ?

I've thinking about it whole day.. Should I buy it or not.. It's driving me crazy :eek:

13. azstinger macrumors member

Hey so I will be traveling to the middle east and was curious if anyone has any input on which app will have the best results abroad? I know navigon and tomtom use different algorithms to compute routes and stuff and was just curious what people think might work better.

14. whiteyanderson thread starter macrumors 6502

The price on Navigon "sold" me. Good deal. I do miss the free Google nav though it worked very well.

15. kleinias, Feb 12, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2011

kleinias macrumors regular

First let me say this, I now have a Verizon iPhone (and the voice coverage is significantly better for me) and while the GPS works fine, TomTom/Navigon need to update their app because it is a little buggy with the Verizon iPhone (I don't see these same issues with the at&t iPhone).

Regarding TomTom's traffic subscription, it is actually tied to an account you get (username and password) when you sign up for the traffic service. This "traffic" account can be moved from phone to phone but you can only use it on one phone at a time. As soon as I activated it for my new Verizon iPhone, it deactivated it on my at&t phone. The traffic subscription itself works well with the Verizon phone and there are no issues with it.

I haven't used the Garmin GPS app yet, but I wouldn't put it in the same class (it might be very good though) with Navigon or TomTom because the mapping data is actually streamed (or downloaded at the start of your navigation) with the Garmin app. If I were going to go the route of having the data streamed onto the phone then I would check out MotionX GPS (the driving version) because it has worked very well in the past for me.

16. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148a Safari/6533.18.5)

Navigon, FTW.

17. flyingturtle macrumors regular