Best GPS App

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by mpossoff, Dec 10, 2010.

1. mpossoff macrumors 68020

Hello anyone have suggestions for the best GPS app for USA only free or paid?

2. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

I like Motion X a lot. Reasonably priced and I think pretty fast and accurate.

3. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Navigon. Absolutely love it. Has never let me down in over a year of owning.

4. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

TomTom Navigator for when I'm driving, and Runkeeper when I'm jogging. Motion X is also very good.

5. seajay96 macrumors 6502

well, that really depends on what you're planning on using it for...

Car navigation: TomTom
    Tourist navigation: CityMaps2Go
    Bike/Land navigation: MotionX
    Geocaching navigation: Geocaching
    Topographic navigation: ?

6. mpossoff thread starter macrumors 68020

I need a good car navigator.

7. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Same here. Navigon is near flawless. I think it has the best UI too. I also found it the easiest to input an address(besides voice command).

Waze isn't the bad neither and is pretty accurate for being a free app. And the live traffic beats most paid apps(at least in big cities) being that Waze is user based.

8. Alisstar macrumors 6502

Alisstar

I love my TomTom app when I go on road trips. I had tried Navigon on my old 3G, but I didn't like it as much as TomTom. Around town I use waze just for fun. Waze's map just isn't accurate enough for me to trust it to go anywhere.

9. mad-dog-one macrumors 6502

Co-pilot N. America works great for me and it is inexpensive.

10. navguy macrumors regular

I own both, and TomTom edges out Navigon by having better traffic service (begin/end and delay accuracy are very good) ... and when calculating alternate routes (particularly surface roads), the IQ Routing makes better decisions ... couple of features that I depend on regularly.

I use TomTom for car navigation 100% of the time.

11. eelpout macrumors regular

eelpout

Agreed on Waze, I've tried to use it out of town, but the census-based "Tiger" map they used as a base needs so much work, you can't trust it. I mostly use it around town so I can help flush out the local map errors for others. They recently received $25M in additional funding, I hope they use some of that towards accelerating the solidifying of their map data.

MotionX GPS Drive recently added text-to-speech for 3Gs and 4 users. But I still find their routing somewhat odd. I guess this has something to do with traffic data, but since they still don't show visual traffic info, its hard to tell. And they should stop charging the $2.99 monthly fee to 3G and below users since we aren't allowed to use TTS and having to pay for basic "turn left here" voice guidance now seems really silly.

Co-Pilot NA is what I use the most.

12. azstinger macrumors member

Not sure if you guys know the answer to this but thought I would ask. For the TomTom App, if I buy the US version and then want to buy the Europe and Middle East maps, can I do that from inside the app or do I need to set up an iTunes account in each of those regions?