best gps

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by IDANNY, Dec 23, 2007.

1. IDANNY macrumors 6502a

IDANNY

I just got a garmin nuvi 680 what do you guys think is the best gps. I am trying to figure out which one is the best. also I am trying to figure out how to install more maps to it especially topo maps. If anyone has any advice Id appreciate it.

2. MarlboroLite macrumors 6502a

MarlboroLite

I have the nuvi 660 and it's a GREAT GPS! I am really really happy with it. I see very little faults with it, I think you will love the 680!

Garmin definitely makes some of the best ones! :)

3. theprizefight macrumors member

after doing a lot of research I ended up getting the nuvi 650 for my dad. Seems that the nuvi series is the most highly regarded by critics and users alike. I think you made a good choice with the nuvi. If you have a chance you should try heading out to either circuit city or best buy, they seem to have a good selection of GPS units to try out.

Personally I like the nuvi UI better than any of the other brands.

4. gotzero macrumors 68040

I got nuvi 200w's for the clan for the holidays. I put my address and their respective addresses in each's unit, in a lame attempt to try and make it more personal... Used one for a few days to make sure it was user friendly enough for some of the less inclined recipients...

I ended up getting another one for myself because I liked it so much. It had everything I thought I needed and nothing I didn't (Mp3 player and speakerphone, come on...).

I would really recommend taking a look at the lower end of the range. Normally, I would be all over the high end of a product like this. I have always had GPS units for my laptop, and have had a topo unit forever for my outdoor excursions. I just do not see the need for a lot of the extra features that make some of the car units so expensive. I have traffic on my phone, and I mute my GPS anyway, so the street name pronunciation is not a big deal.

EDIT: BTW, they are Mac friendly :)