Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Neodypsis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 12, 2021
Hello folks!

Mac Pro 5,1
2 x 3.46 6 Core Intel Xeon
Open Core Monterey 12.7.4
NVMe boot, workspace and scratch disc, SSDs & lots of external storage
Current GPU is NVIDIA GeForce GTS 780 3GB
96GB Memory

Use the above referenced machine for several hours daily and really super happy with it, but maybe the performance could be improved with a better GPU?

Most of the hard use is utilizing Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator (really big and/or complex files) and some occasional video editing.

Has anyone experienced any significant speed gains in the Adobe Suite from upgrading to hotter GPU perhaps a 1080 ti or greater? Or something else?

What parameters are most influential to performance of the unit with the big files - the speed of the GPU or the VRAM (8gb 12gb, more?)?
Not worried about power consumption as I understand that installation of a big card will necessitate an external PSU or internal mods to power.

Thoughts? Recommendations? Or am I maxed out?

avro707

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010

Would a Mac Studio be an option? https://ipowerresale.com/collections/mac-studio?filter.mfield_cql_parent_product=true

Otherwise the RX6600XT if you can flash the card in a PC is a nice easy upgrade and can be powered the same way as a Sapphire RX580 normally is. Going anything greater than that is really fussy with Pixlas mod required, the ultimate card you could use is the W6800 Radeon Pro 32GB but I doubt you'll get any benefit from it:

https://www.amd.com/en/products/graphics/workstations/radeon-pro/w6800.html

That would also need to be flashed to work on the 5,1. And will need Pixlas mod for power.

I have used Photoshop on the RX580 before in my dual CPU 5,1 without bother. I haven't used modern Photoshop on older GPUs though, maybe except for the dual-D700s on my 6,1 12 core Mac Pro.

Fast SSDs helped with performance of starting Photoshop.

Nowadays it runs on my 7,1, which is massively more powerful and faster in all ways so I can not really compare it.

Last edited:

sfalatko

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2016
Hello folks!

Mac Pro 5,1
2 x 3.46 6 Core Intel Xeon
Open Core Monterey 12.7.4
NVMe boot, workspace and scratch disc, SSDs & lots of external storage
Current GPU is NVIDIA GeForce GTS 780 3GB
96GB Memory

Use the above referenced machine for several hours daily and really super happy with it, but maybe the performance could be improved with a better GPU?

Most of the hard use is utilizing Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator (really big and/or complex files) and some occasional video editing.

Has anyone experienced any significant speed gains in the Adobe Suite from upgrading to hotter GPU perhaps a 1080 ti or greater? Or something else?

What parameters are most influential to performance of the unit with the big files - the speed of the GPU or the VRAM (8gb 12gb, more?)?
Not worried about power consumption as I understand that installation of a big card will necessitate an external PSU or internal mods to power.

There are several choices - start by looking here and read the first post -

Neodypsis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 12, 2021
Would a Mac Studio be an option? https://ipowerresale.com/collections/mac-studio?filter.mfield_cql_parent_product=true

Otherwise the RX6600XT if you can flash the card in a PC is a nice easy upgrade and can be powered the same way as a Sapphire RX580 normally is. Going anything greater than that is really fussy with Pixlas mod required, the ultimate card you could use is the W6800 Radeon Pro 32GB but I doubt you'll get any benefit from it:

https://www.amd.com/en/products/graphics/workstations/radeon-pro/w6800.html

That would also need to be flashed to work on the 5,1. And will need Pixlas mod for power.

I have used Photoshop on the RX580 before in my dual CPU 5,1 without bother. I haven't used modern Photoshop on older GPUs though, maybe except for the dual-D700s on my 6,1 12 core Mac Pro.

Fast SSDs helped with performance of starting Photoshop.

Nowadays it runs on my 7,1, which is massively more powerful and faster in all ways so I can not really compare it.
Thanks! This is the info I was looking for.....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.