Best Grand Canyon Tours in Feb?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Scuby, Jan 21, 2011.

1. Scuby macrumors regular

For something a little different... hopefully all the Americans here can help me! :)

I'm off to Vegas for work at the end of Feb, and want to take a day out to visit the Grand Canyon. I've found some coach trips from Vegas which take a full day (6am-10pm) and seem ok, but lots seem to waste time with things like an IMAX stop and Visitor's Centres - i'd much rather just be taken to Grand Canyon Village and left for a few hours to explore myself - get away from everyone else, wander a little way down one fo the trails into the canyon, etc. I'm not keen on the whole "commercial tourism" thing.

So, can anyone suggest the best way to do that from Vegas in a day? Which tour companies are best for leaving you alone to enjoy it in your own time? And is that even possible in Feb - i know it's low season, but presumably it's still all open enough to go for a wander and start heading a little way down one of the trails into the canyon?

Any thoughts or experiences would be very much appreciated!

David

2. Scuby thread starter macrumors regular

Hi,

Just wanted to say i think i've found something suitable now - found a bus tour that will drop me at the South Canyon and just leave me for 3 hours to explore / go for a walk / eat lunch at my own pace.

Incidentally, I did notice a post here from a helicopter company (who I assume were banned for advertising?) but having had a look at their and other helicopter / plane tours I was disappointed to be honest. If i'm paying so much extra to cut down the travel time then I want to spend the time I saved actually on the ground in the Grand Canyon - it would be fantastic, and I'd be willing to pay a lot of money, to take a plane / helicopter from Vegas to the South Canyon, leaving early in the morning (~9-10am) and arriving back late evening (~8-9pm). Drop me in the village, and i'll happily entertain myself for the day. Unfortunately, every flying option seems to also significantly cut down the amount of time in the park, which just seems like a waste.

David