Best Graphics card for 733MHz PowerMac G4?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by MacPig, Jul 6, 2012.

1. MacPig macrumors newbie

Hi Guys,
    I have a 733Mhz G4 Powermac with 1.25gb of ram and for all normal purposes it's fine, but I have a few issues with it at the moment. It sucks balls whenever it tries to run any sort of video, it just can't cut it at all. It jams up and flickers around horribly and it's really quite annoying! It can't even handle Quicktime!
    So I've come to the conclusion I need a new Graphics card, I currently have a 32mb GeForce2 MX and an Apple Studio Display connected to it. I would like to keep the monitor and upgrade the card to something that will handle video (and Halo of course!) So an authentic card may be my only option but I don't know, how many 3rd party cards would support that obscure an interface?
    I hope you guys can help me finding a card and help me keep my G4 in regular use, I'm not ready to gut it and fill it with Intel nonsense just yet!
    Thanks,
    Pig

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The video frameskip is likely caused by the slow speed of the G4 in that PowerMac. You could try VLC for slightly better performance. If you want to keep that screen, you'll have to get a card with a ADC port or buy an expensive ADC to DVI adapter. You'll also want a card with CoreImage. CoreImage speeds up the user interface of Tiger and Leopard. It only works on powerful cards, so the card you'll get would be a powerful one for your machine. But there is only one G4 compatible CoreImage card with a ADC port. I forget which one, but I know they are rare and expensive.

3. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

^^^It was Radeon 9700 Pro, available as BTO for MDD.
    [​IMG]

4. MacinDan macrumors regular

An ATI 9000 has an ADC port, though no CoreImage. It'll give 3D tasks and video playback a very modest speed boost over what you have, and they can be found cheap (I got mine on eBay for $0.99 plus shipping :p).

For video you may have better success switching software. If you're running Tiger, try mplayer. If you're running Leopard, try VLC.