Best Graphics Card for HD Video Editing?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by theapplefreak, Sep 21, 2009.

1. theapplefreak macrumors regular

As you can see in the title. What is the Best Graphics Card for HD Video Editing?

Obviously it should be compatible with the mac.

Thanks

2. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

As of right now, it would be the Radeon 4870 due to higher Core Image performance. However, this is likely to change when Final Cut and other software is updated to make use of OpenCL, among other things. If you don't need to upgrade now, it's better to wait.

There is very little GPU acceleration in video editing right now, anyway. More in Motion and companion apps.

3. theapplefreak thread starter macrumors regular

Well I'm trying to buy a mac pro soon, but i guess I should just wait? And is it possible they can update it in October?

4. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

I believe it's January when Apple does most of the refreshes.

5. theapplefreak thread starter macrumors regular

You think its worth waiting? I'm sorta eager and needing it right now because of my macbook lagging very much and annoys me when I try video editing.

What do you think they'll refresh in October?

6. handsome pete macrumors 68000

What type of editing, and how much of it are you doing?

If you're currently editing on a macbook, then it seems to me that any of the current mac pros would be more than enough. You'd probably even be better off with a 2008 model, or an iMac.

7. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

I don't know. AFAIK video editing doesn't rely much on the graphics card.

8. theapplefreak thread starter macrumors regular

I'm barely editing on my macbook because of its slowness. It's not even an Intel Core 2 Duo. Its an Intel Core Duo.

I'm doing either Full HD or just 720p HD video editing with Final Cut Express. I also do pretty heavy photoshop graphic designing work as a hobby and make wallpapers and what not.

Here and there, I would like to use Adobe After Effects and things like that. And play some games on it.

Thats what I'll mainly be using it for. Since I'm low on budget, I'm looking into the Quad Core.

9. nightfly13 macrumors 6502a

nightfly13

I wouldn't wait for a tiny difference that OpenGL might make. It'll be such a night and day improvement over a first gen MacBook (or any MacBook) the residual difference from a better graphics card is inconsequential.

10. theapplefreak thread starter macrumors regular

Of course!

I'm sort of wondering if the mac pro is worth 2249 (At macconnections.com) with all the hardware put into it.