Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 13, 2004
Im graduating in may 2013, so my student discount will no longer function at that time. I really want to get a rmbp, and I want to use my discount. However, I can manage for another year with what I have. Do you guys think the next revision will be out by may? I read somewhere that the next intel chips will be out in April.

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
Im graduating in may 2013, so my student discount will no longer function at that time. I really want to get a rmbp, and I want to use my discount. However, I can manage for another year with what I have. Do you guys think the next revision will be out by may? I read somewhere that the next intel chips will be out in April.

*grabs popcorn

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
Probably early/mid 2013. Depends on when Intel actually starts shipping their next gen chips.

Although if it comes out a month or two after you graduate, you'll still have your Student ID. ;)

Mike07335i

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2009
It will be April, May, June or July..

In reality nobody knows.. too many variables at this point. Like mentioned above a significant revision won't occur until Intel launches their new chip set.

Mike

sweetbrat

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2009
Redford, MI
You could wait until next April or May and see what the rumors are at that point. Then either buy what's available or choose to wait. No one can really tell you right now when the next revision will be.

Oh crap, there's me being logical again... ;)

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 13, 2004
You could wait until next April or May and see what the rumors are at that point. Then either buy what's available or choose to wait. No one can really tell you right now when the next revision will be.

Oh crap, there's me being logical again... ;)

If its not coming until after may I might as well get it now lol.

Lord Appleseed

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2010
Apple Manor
If you need it or want it then buy it now, if not then wait, though i dont expect a may release.
Do not make the mistake to wait for the best computer ever, there will always be a 'next year'.

JohnDoe98

macrumors 68020
May 1, 2009
If you need it or want it then buy it now, if not then wait, though i dont expect a may release.
Do not make the mistake to wait for the best computer ever, there will always be a 'next year'.

I disagree. Make a list of exactly what you want, once it happens, buy it. That's what I did and the RMBP finally hit all my checkmarks.

doh123

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009

It'll come out 20 days after you give up waiting and buy one.

Keeferton

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2012

I graduated a year ago. Just ordered a macbook with the student discount because the guy on the phone basically pressured me into using the student discount. I wouldn't worry about it too much if the student discount is holding you up.

ReanimationN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
Australia
Intel aren't really feeling pressured by AMD at the moment, so you may, unfortunately, have to wait a while for Intel's next chip generation. Haswell will be out next year, however Intel aren't going to be worried if they have to delay its release by a few months. There may be a spec bump early next year, if that's the case.

TickleMeElmo

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2012
Probably June or later if Intel doesn't delay it's chip launch like it did with Ivy Bridge. If Ivy Bridge were on time the new MBP's would have come out in April or earlier.

I think the condition is that you need a student card. It's not like they ask you for confirmation of enrollment.

arcite

macrumors 6502a

Hmmm this is a tough one. Perhaps IDE the discount the day before it expires? Makes sense.

mohsy90

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2011
New York
Really, don't people still have their university logins from college? I still know a lot of friends that use their education discount that are well out of college. All they ask is that you log into your university webpage or show an ID. I believe you hold the login to your university webpage forever!!!

Lagmonster

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2007
Don't let the discount influence your purchase. Wait for what you want. And the advice above ^^^^ is pretty spot on -- They will kind of just give you the discount without even asking.

mohsy90

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2011
New York
Really, don't people still have their university logins from college? I still know a lot of friends that use their education discount that are well out of college. All they ask is that you log into your university webpage or show an ID. I believe you hold the login to your university webpage forever!!!

I have an uncle that was a physics professor. Retired 8 yrs ago and still uses his login to get the education discount

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.