Best handbrake preset for standard DVD's?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Jamie0003, Dec 23, 2010.

1. Jamie0003, Dec 23, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2010

Jamie0003 macrumors 6502a

I have been ripping my DVD collection for use on my Apple TV 2nd gen and occasionally my iphone, so I have been using the universal preset. Is there a better preset to use with a smaller file size? The rips seem to take forever, should they be taking more than an hour?

Also, I have noticed that some movies have subtitles in them which are needed for the movie (Such as when a character talks in a different language) but sometimes handbrake doesn't rip these subtitles. Is there anyway to ensure that these will be ripped?

EDIT: Sorry, one last question. If I used my old windows machine to rip DVD's as well, will it make any difference to the file? I'm pretty sure it won't. (My main computer is a Macbook pro).

2. Sedulous macrumors 68020

Sedulous

I have been using essentially the high profile preset. I increase analysis to uneven hexagon (or whatever it is called). Usually I increase the audio bitrate to 192, and DRC=1. For older movies I check the DCT-decimate option (helps preserve the grain instead of blockyness).

To get the subs you want, use the "forced only" subtitle option.

3. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

For your last question, i used a Windows laptop to rip about 20 of my DVD's and there were no issues.