Best hard disk enclosure for Mac Pro cylinder

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by peabo, Sep 30, 2013.

  1. peabo macrumors regular

    Feb 14, 2008
    Since I will have to migrate the hard disks from my current Mac Pro into some kind of external enclosure when the cylinder launches, I was wondering if anyone knows the best & most cost effective solution.

    I have 4 7200rpm drives and one SSD on a PCI card that will likely get replaced by the flash storage int he cylinder, so I need a minimum of 4 drive bays and it needs to have performance equal to what I was getting before. If thunderbolt is overkill, I'd be happy to go with USB 3 or some other solution as I don't want to have to pay an arm and a leg for this.
  2. chabig macrumors 603

    Sep 6, 2002
    If you're happy to go with USB3, I recommend you buy four USB3 enclosures.
  3. fastlanephil macrumors 65816


    Nov 17, 2007
    That's the millon dollar question next to what will the nMac Pro cost. Waiting until the nMac Pro release might be a good idea as there hopefully will be some more external storage option announcements about that time or shortly after.

    I'm sure USB3 storage will be cheaper but TB2 storage might be worth the extra investment.
  4. chabig macrumors 603

    Sep 6, 2002
  5. flowrider macrumors 603


    Nov 23, 2012
    IMHO, it's far to early to be making decisions like this. There are so many unanswered questions about the new machines that, in my mind, pre planning, while usually a good thing, is not a viable course here.

    Although, I did my pre planning when I got my Mac Pro 5,1 a couple of months ago:rolleyes:

  6. peabo thread starter macrumors regular

    Feb 14, 2008
    Well, if I wait until the thing launches before figuring this out, I'll end up with a machine that I can't actually use as all my work related files are on those drives!

    We know what ports the machine has, so I figured that was enough information to determine what it was I was going to have to buy beforehand.

    I suppose Apple could release a companion HD enclosure, but that seems somewhat unlikely to me.
  7. beaker7 macrumors 6502a

    Mar 16, 2009
    That's actually a terrible option considering his disks won't fit in it without a sledgehammer.

    The J4 is great, actually, but good luck fitting 3.5 inch drives into it. ;)
  8. milo macrumors 604

    Sep 23, 2003
    I agree that it's too early to commit to anything. But it seems like USB3 would make the most sense for HD, including multi bay ones, and I would only use TB for SSD drives. Depending on the specific drives, multi bay may be a good choice for those as well.
  9. deconstruct60 macrumors 604

    Mar 10, 2009
    Where is the requirement that you have to buy a Mac Pro 2013 on the day it launches. If you don't buy a new Mac Pro, nothing happens to the one you currently have.

    There are two parts to the equation here. One, is what Apple is going to ship. The second is what the peripheral vendors are going to ship. The Apple half is somewhat "known". The second, is what there is some speculation as to whether there is going to be a significant shift or not.

    Intel didn't plan on shipping TB v2 in 2013. Hence, not many peripheral vendors probably have either. I think there is some hope that vendors on their 2nd generation TB devices will drop prices at bit. Having learned how to do TB devices on the first go around this one will be easier to do, lower risk .... hence lower prices.

    For example, one thing that is a missing is an affordable 3.5" JBOD device. A 3-4 3.5" sled drive box with a 5.25" bay would probably make more than few folks happy. In 2011-2012 when most new TB folks are transitioning between MBP/iMac to new TB versions probably didn't have a greater demand for such boxes. Demand is probably going to go up when the Mac Pro 2013 releases. [ enough to bring in multiple vendors and race-to-the-bottom prices ? No. But at least one viable product would be a start. ]

    Post the CES 2014 show in Vegas should probably put most of the vendors cards onto the table.

    So it is more than just Apple waiting on info from.

    There are a couple of things can do now though that likely aren't going to change much whether the connection is TB or USB 3.0. Smaller x4 drive enclosures may/may-not come with restrictions on types of drives can place (depends upon how the box deals , or doesn't deal, with vibrations) that may be a mismtach for your drives.

    The other is whether all four need to be bundled together in a single device or now. If have two different volumes with different growth rates may better off aiming at two new enclosures as opposed to one ( it isn't really a new problem ... were on the path now. However, this is an opportunistic time to address it since have to make some changes anyway. )

Share This Page