Best Hard drive for Mac pro 2.8 8 core

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by carolhayes, Feb 21, 2009.

1. carolhayes macrumors member

I finally decided not to wait any longer to get the mac pro. I bought the base model and not I need to buy hard drives and ram. I have searched the posts and it looks like Seagate is the brand to go with but several post suggested the 7200.11 SATA Enterprise. When I googled it a class action lawsuit came up.

So, does anyone have suggestions?

2. POLOgt macrumors member

POLOgt

Hard Drives:

Both Seagate and WD Enterprise Edition drives are great drives for the Mac Pro and would recommend only enterprise edition drives for the Mac Pro.
    I personally love the Western Digital Raid Edition Enterprise, esp now that WD came out with the RE3 series, I would now recommend them above the .11 drives.

Ram:

I have only used apple memory (but used off eBay), but I haven't heard bad things about OWC Memory. They offer a lifetime warranty and are priced very well, :)

3. Tom Sawyer macrumors 6502a

Tom Sawyer

I agree, both Seagate and WD are great drives; I have 4 of the Seagate ES.2 1TB drives in my NAS, server grade which equates to higher MTBF (mean time between failure) and presumably more robust hardware.

You should take into consideration what your needs are as far as space and speed as well. I ended up going with 2 150gb Velociraptors Striped (Raid 0) for my "System" partition and a 1TB Western Digital Black for the "Work" drive. The stock 320gb drive I use for my Windows setup (currently Windows 7 beta).

This setup suits my needs quite well, super fast boot/application drive and a very respectably fast data drive for projects.

For memory, I picked up 6 more 1gb Apple Dimms on eBay as well, pulled from Mac Pro's. 8gb was plenty for my needs and fully populating both risers is one of a handful of configs that give the best performance.

Hope that helps... :)

4. michaelsviews macrumors 65816

Newegg, Samsung, WD, and for Memory OWC, or ebay, Seagate I would not touch till the problems are worked out. Thats MY opinon only.

I have a Samsung 1.5TB and its silent, works fantastic, WD is good also, just like the Samsung drives.

I read / take reviews and opinions with a grain of salt, Newegg has outstanding service and I have NEVER ever had a problem with a return and I think I have only had one.

BOL

5. vogelhausdesign macrumors regular

vogelhausdesign

Microcenter has a deal going on right now on the enterprise 1TB WD's that beats out all most all of the online. Plus you can buy it and have it installed same day instead of waiting a week or more for shipping

6. carolhayes thread starter macrumors member

What does system partition mean? I was planning on running my software cs3 on the stock 320gb and getting (2) 1TB drives for storage and the other for time machine back ups. What do you think?

7. carolhayes thread starter macrumors member

Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

Is this an enterprise drive?

8. nanofrog macrumors G4

No. But it's a little better than the average consumer drive, as it does have a UBE of 10E15, but not the MTBF or vibrational tolerance.

WDC's Enterprise page. They break it down into 3 categories:
    Performance (Velociraptor)
    Business Critical (RE2 & RE3)
    Energy Saving (RE2-GP)

Hope this helps. :)

9. carolhayes thread starter macrumors member

Thank you Thank you! I plan on getting the drives tonight!

10. Tom Sawyer macrumors 6502a

Tom Sawyer

System being the partition or drive that OS X and apps are installed on. I think that would work fine actually, though the 320gb stock drive is not the fastest around, but plenty of space for the OS, Apps etc.

The 1TB WD Blacks are great drives, and very fast too.

11. eyecool macrumors regular

I <3 my 1 TB Samsung F1 spinpoint hd.
    I also use 8GB of ram I bought from OWC.

I preordered my 8 core desktop when they first came out and have been running the Samsung and OWC aftermarket parts for about a year now with no problems what so ever.

12. Chrispy macrumors 68020

Chrispy

I'm thinking of upgrading my Mac Pro 2 x 2.8 to a RAID 0 setup with two 750GB drives. The WD Caviar Black 750GB is $90 and the WD RE3 750GB is $140. Is it worth the extra $50 per drive for the RE3 using them in RAID 0 in a Mac Pro?

13. Tom Sawyer macrumors 6502a

Tom Sawyer

IMHO, as long as you have a good backup routine planned, I'd just pick up the WD Blacks. They are great drives and have good warranty too.

On a side note, from what I've seen when you set up a raid 0 set via OS X's software raid, it can be only one partition... So you will have one big 1.39 TB partition. I wanted my system and apps to run off of a stripe set so ended up going with 2 150gb velociraptors so I wouldn't have a huge "System" drive.

Another side note: Have you sold your i7 setup yet? Someone needs to buy that thing so I stop looking at it with temptation!!! :D

14. Tom Sawyer macrumors 6502a

Tom Sawyer

Yeah... couple of those would be pretty amazing I'm sure. Big $$ :D

15. Abidubi macrumors 6502

Two related questions.

1) Is time machine able to restore a raid 0. Ie, if I backup a 2 disk raid 0, 1 drive fails, I replace it and format/set the raid 0 back up... can I then tell time machine to restore it as it was before. (Does time machine work even if it's not physically the same HD as before?)

2) If you can't partition a software raid, can't you partition 2 drives exactly the same way, then drag the partitions together to create raid 0s for system at the top, and other files at the bottom?

16. Tom Sawyer macrumors 6502a

Tom Sawyer

Yes, it would be able to as once the stripe set is created/formatted, the OS will see it as just a volume and present it to you for installing/restoring to etc.

On #2... that would be interesting to know. I originally bought 2 1tb western digital blacks to setup in raid 0 and assumed I would be able to partition it, but didn't see any way of doing that once it was a raid 0 stripe set. Anyone tried to stripe previously created partitions of equal size across two drives? Would be really cool (and disappointing for me since I've gone another direction) if it worked that way. The WD Blacks are VERY fast, I'd be plenty satisfied with two of those in a raid 0 setup, I just prefer partitioning my data to segregate and organize.

17. Chrispy macrumors 68020

Chrispy

Good point. Maybe I will just snag two 500GB drives and save some money. There is only a $15 price difference between the Caviar Black and RE3 500GB drives but the RE3 has half the cache. Will that be noticeable?

The velociraptors are tempting but oh so expensive in comparison. Oh, and the Core i7 is still available. About 3 people expresses interest and nobody jumped on it.

18. Tom Sawyer macrumors 6502a

Tom Sawyer

I kind of doubt it would be noticeable between 16mb and 32mb of cache. Maybe to some benchmarks but that's about it.

EDIT: I see the WD blacks in 500gb now... were just 640gb and 1tb when I got mine. It's a screaming fast drive and I would probably not be able to tell THAT much difference between two of those stripped and my two velociraptors. Certainly not enough to merit the significant premium I paid for the 10K spindle speed. :rolleyes:

Honestly, I'm quite surprised it has not moved yet, it's a beautiful system. It is exactly the system I would build if I still built my PC's, that is for sure. Last machine I built in '07 had the then high end Intel board (Bad Axe II) etc. Anyway... even though I'm very much in the Mac world for my home stuff, it is still tempting. Of course, I'm tempted by the new Mac Pro's and I definitely don't need one of those (need, want... it's so fuzzy... :D)

I've asked a few guys I work with if they might be interested but no luck so far....

19. Nik macrumors 6502

20. Tom Sawyer macrumors 6502a

Tom Sawyer

Out of curiosity I googled it and it seems that the scenario above may work, IE partitioning each drive separately (but exactly) and then striping the matching partitions from each drive. Here is (an unanswered) post on a forum Multiple Partitions on Raid 0 and the guy seems to have had success.

21. Chrispy macrumors 68020

Chrispy

I went ahead and ordered two WB Black 500GB drives and I will use the stock 320GB as a backup drive for really important items. I have a few externals as well so I can rock the RAID 0 and just be diligent about my backing up. Thanks for the recommendations!

Thanks for looking around for a buyer on the Core i7. I have listed it on Craigslist locally so hopefully someone jumps on it. The marketplace thread is so far down now that not many people are seeing it at this point.

22. Chrispy macrumors 68020

Chrispy

Also, has the Disk Utility Apple RAID software been reliable for most people running RAID 0? I have seen a few threads recommending SoftRAID but I don't really want to spend the $129 on the software.

23. nanofrog macrumors G4

I've not done it under OS X, but it should be possible. It's been done with other OS's in software RAID.

And I've certainly been able to do it in hardware based solutions. :p