Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macandipodfan

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 30, 2008
I own an i5 MacBook pro that I do a bit of HD video editing on.
Up till now I've been storing the video on the internal HD, but I'm almost out of space (I only have 500GB).
I want to get a bigger drive that will still work well with 720p editing in FCE, so I was looking at this enclosure with either this or this hard drive.

Would these work all right for HD editing? Are there any other options I should be considering?

MrSEC

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2008
I own an i5 MacBook pro that I do a bit of HD video editing on.
Up till now I've been storing the video on the internal HD, but I'm almost out of space (I only have 500GB).
I want to get a bigger drive that will still work well with 720p editing in FCE, so I was looking at this enclosure with either this or this hard drive.

Would these work all right for HD editing? Are there any other options I should be considering?

I have a very similar setup. I've found the Western Digital Scorpio Black to be the fastest 7,200 RPM HDD,but Seagate is a close 2nd.

You'll like having the external. It aids in speeding the up on the CPU side by using an external as a scratch disk.

macandipodfan

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 30, 2008
AFAIK the Scorpio Black isn't available in 1TB.
I don't really care if it's a 2.5" drive; just as long as it's quick. So do you think the WD I mentioned would be good?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.