Best Hard Drive Options for a RAID chassis

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by mythos, Dec 13, 2013.

1. mythos macrumors member

Currently my large archive of files are spread over many drives (and also safely archived on others) and I'll be moving a bunch of them to a RAID setup when I get the New Mac Pro.
    Haven't decided on the chassis yet, but will probably go with the empty Promise unit.

I'l be buying four 2TB drives but I'm not sure which will be my best option.
    I usually buy WD Cavalier Black, does anyone have any recommendations for good and reliable drives, preferably with bang for the buck - though safe storage of my data is the priority over saving money,

I mostly deal with audio, but also some video.
    Would I be OK with Cavalier Black or should I look into Enterprise Options (or is that overkill) ?

(I'm investing in a 6TB 2Big for TimeMachine, which I'll run as RAID 1).

With thanks for any input.

B.

2. Ifti macrumors 68000

I use 3TB WD Red drives in my RAID array - they are built for NAS units and come with good support.
    Always been fine for me so far [touch wood]!

3. mythos thread starter macrumors member

Thanks Ifti, appreciated. Aren't the WD Black faster for moving large files though ?
    I think I might go with WD Black or an Enterprise drive, but the latter may be unnecessary.
    (I'be had bad experiences with Seagate Barracuda drives in the past so avoid them).

4. Ifti macrumors 68000

Yes they would be faster, and if you are prepared to pay extra then go for it!
    The WD Red drives are more for home users who want to run a NAs and are looking to keep prices at an acceptable level also!