Best HARD/rigid case?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by iluvifone, Jul 21, 2010.

1. iluvifone macrumors 6502

Am looking for a good hard/rigid case, something that:

-doesn't have flash issues
    -has a clean, simple look to it
    -must be hard/plastic/w.e, as I am completely avoiding rubber/silicone etc. (anything that bends/stretches is out of the question)
    -relatively thin.. the thinner the better

I was originally sold on the incipio feather, then I realized that it doesn't protect the top of the phone or the glass front at all, so I passed.

Next, I saw the NGP from incipio (http://tinyurl.com/287tv8t), which perfectly fits all the criteria above (not sure whether it has flash issues or not), but I was surprised to find out that it is made of rubber/silicone, as it can easily be stretched/bent (as per video reviews on youtube).

Can anyone recommend a reputable case, such as the NGP, that satisfies the criteria mentioned above?

Thank you

2. yOyOYoo macrumors 6502a

yOyOYoo

Case-Mate Barely There case.

It is very slim and form fitting, has a rubberized grip, and it includes a front screen protector (kinda crappy)

I like this case because it is super thin. Also it has an opening to show off the apple logo. I've said this several times before, I hate cases that cover that nice looking apple logo.

I did put a screen protector on the logo to prevent it from getting scratched.

It's $25 free shipping.

3. iluvifone thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you for the suggestion.

Unfortunately, it doesn't appear to come out to cover the bezel/front at all, and I am the opposite of you, i absolutely hate cases that have a small circle cutout to show that nice looking apple logo. Looks too ghetto imo.

4. psywzrd macrumors 68030

Ivyskin Reception case maybe? I called them today and they told me that there is some lay on the table design even though it's really hard to tell by looking at the pictures on their website. It shows the logo but it's not a cutout.

5. austin571 macrumors regular

ifrogz, but be careful. Sliding the case one may cause your screen protector to come up on the sides.

6. TruckdriverSean macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

I have the Incipio NGP, and for a rubberized case it rocks. It gets a 7/10 in my book. (I'm harsh)

As for a hard case, anything too thin (like a "barely there") will give very little protection to hard drops, as there simply won't be enough material to cushion the shock.

7. iluvifone thread starter macrumors 6502

Why the 7/10? Because it's rubber?

Also, I'm not expecting my i4 to survive a drop from the 34th floor from my apartment building. More realistically, i'm looking for something that would protect it if it fell out of my pocket or out of my hands (4-5 feet).

8. Gshockman macrumors newbie

The ivyskin Quattro T5?(or what ever they call it) but its a slim case, hard shell plastic and includes a glass screen protector that protects the front of the phone and its actually really slim. They have one for the iphone 3g/3gs and you can check it out but the iPhone 4 one will release in August. Check them out on ivyskin.com!

But me personally will be going with the otterbox because I like the protection.

9. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

I've recently switched back to the bumper from the Speck Candyshell but while I was using it I really liked it. Nice hard plastic/rubbery feel to it. It may be a little to bulky for what you're looking for, though.

10. TruckdriverSean macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

Lol, yes I'm fairly harsh in my personal ratings of products (for what that's worth). A 7/10 is pretty dang good. My gripes include flash bloom (not terrible but present, it's slightly tight for screen protectors, and it's a semi-rigid. Maybe an 8/10 would have been better.

As for drops, I want something that can survive shoulder height drops on concrete. A semi-rigid rubberized case would probably be best for that. A wafer-thin hard plastic case just makes me nervous in that regard.

11. iluvifone thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh ok. I guess the only thing stopping me from getting it is the flash boom. Any recommendations for cases that don't have that issue?

12. Jumpman2033 macrumors regular

The speck candyshell may be a good fit for you. It adds a little bulk, but nothing bad. It raises up in front to protect the glass. It is flexible but more on the rigid side. It is rubber inside and a harder coat on the outside. it has a simple look to it (the black and gray one at least). I had one for my 3G and loved it. I'm waiting for them to become available again for the iphone 4. It slid in and out of the pocket easy, and didn't really collect lint. Really good drop protection.