best hd cam on a budget?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by gdeusthewhizkid, Nov 8, 2010.

1. gdeusthewhizkid macrumors 6502a

hey guys,

im looking to get into shooting footage of me making music in the studio and working with my artists. I need a hd cam on a budget though. what's the best one under 500 bucks.

I was looking into this one http://camcorder.jvc.com/product.jsp?pathId=119

2. gdeusthewhizkid thread starter macrumors 6502a

3. martinX macrumors 6502a

martinX

4. gdeusthewhizkid thread starter macrumors 6502a

lol thanks.. im talking about those little hand held ones. I have access to that sony though if i ever needed to use it for a project.

5. skypark macrumors member

HD Cam

I use a Flip mino HD cam, I also bought a small for it. It cost me 150.00

6. jayeskreezy macrumors 65816

I personally think if you can get your hands on a Kodak zi8 then it's a MUCH better deal then the Flip mino HD.

It shoots in 1080 and 720p. It also can do 60fps and it has an external mic input. You can put as much memory in it that you want so you don't pay a premium for it having onboard memory. I use an 8gb SD card in mine.

You can catch them on sale every once in awhile but they run about $100-$175 on avg.

7. gdeusthewhizkid thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks will look into that one..

8. ctyhntr, Nov 11, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2010

ctyhntr macrumors 6502

ctyhntr

For the same price range as the Mino HD, check out the Kodak Zi8. Its 1080p, 720p, has removable battery, takes SDHC cards up to 32 GBs, and has an external mic jack and a remote control option. I bought my refurbished from Adorama for $86, the remote for $7 from B&H photo, and 16 GB class 10 SDHC card from Amazon for $27.

I think this runs rings around the Mino HD. Go to a camera store get one of those accessory rails with a handle, and you can hang a ton of stuff like external mikes, lights, and external extended battery packs off of this thing. The Kodak Zi8 doesn't have optical zoom, neither does the Mino HD.

You can search Youtube for Zi8 videos to get a feel of the quality, especially low light.