Best HD camcorder for a intel base mac

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by macguru78, Nov 28, 2009.

1. macguru78 macrumors newbie

May 18, 2009
    I'm looking for a camera to be used with my intel based mac. Which High Definition camera is the best?
  2. MisterMe macrumors G4

Jul 17, 2002
  3. cz9h3d macrumors member

Nov 10, 2009
    I too, am beginning my camcorder search. I think you need to considering two things - (1) the camcorder itself (i.e. video quality in different settings, features, handling, etc... is a great site to use for research) - and (2) the file format! I'm moving from MiniDV to SDHC, mainly because the industry is forcing me too! However there seem to be A LOT of nuances regarding AVCHD formats. I'll do some more digging in the forums and let you know what I learn.

I already bought $1,000 camcorders - now I want a $400-$500 one!

I have to admit I'm still somewhat amazed that so many people are buying hard drive and/or SD-based camcorders. What are they doing in regards to archiving the original files?!?!? I have ten years of miniDV tapes all in a row that I can suck into my computer at their original highest quality for editing (although the older ones are probably ready to be dubbed over to new tapes). I have a non-techie brother - he just buys a new SD card for his still camera when the old one fills up!
  4. macguru78 thread starter macrumors newbie

May 18, 2009
    I found the camera the I want, is a canon HG21 in AVCHD format. The only cons about this camera are the low-light settings and battery life other than is better then the Sony counterpart
  5. mbell75 macrumors 6502

Oct 30, 2007
    You cant go wrong with Canon or Sony really. If you are concerned about low light, get the Sony HDR-CX500. It has the best low light shooting of any $1k camcorder out there. If not, look at the Canon HF S10. The two best for under $1k IMO.
  6. macguru78 thread starter macrumors newbie

May 18, 2009
    Thank you MBELL75
  7. Illmetaphor macrumors member

Mar 15, 2009
    what is the megapixel image sensor and how important is it?

How much better is 15x compared to 10 ?

Also what do you think of the camera plus accessories package on amazon for 1100