Best HD Camera

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Mykbibby, May 6, 2008.

1. Mykbibby macrumors 6502a

Mykbibby

I am in the process of buying a camera, and was looking for one with the following specs to no avail. I figured I'd see if the forums could suggest one along these guidelines...

1. 1080p 24F. This is a must.

2. HDV would be nice, but not necessary.

3. 3 CCD's.

4. A good LCD.

5. Microphone hookup.

6. Under 4500 dollars.

If you have a camera to recommend close to these specs, please post it. The only one of these that is a must is the 1080p 24F. Even the price can go a little up (Not too crazy though)

Thanks for the help!

2. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

I was about to start a new thread for this, but figured it'd be better to piggyback this one, since then people can offer advice in ranges in the same place:

I'm looking for recommendations for a budget level HD camera; so far I have received recs for the Canon HV20 and HV30, but both seem to suffer from the single chip problem that I'd like to avoid. Ultimately I'd like to get a decent quality (ultimate result for as close to TV quality as possible/use for added features on DVD, NOT for feature film quality, as I know the price range for those are well above the $5k mark), preferably miniDV camera with HiDef capability, 30p with an option for 24p, and decent to good quality lens for a $600-1200 range. I don't mind tinkering, modding, adding parts later, etc., so for now just a solid entry level camera for shooting live music and interview/video footage. Any suggestions? I don't know a ton about cameras and I likely won't be doing most of the shooting, so any help would be appreciated...

3. ppc_michael Guest

ppc_michael

How much is the Sony HVR-Z7U these days? That would probably be pretty much exactly what you're looking for (except 3 CMOS instead of CCD, but that means lower noise for you).

4. AstrayCliche macrumors member

Is the HVX200 an option? There's rebate going now putting the price around $4700. It can produce some really great images.

5. Mykbibby thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mykbibby

5700... a little steep.

I may have found it... let me know if you see anything else better...

Sony HVR-Z1U

EDIT: 1080i. Darn.

6. ppc_michael Guest

ppc_michael

Yeah, I have a Z1U and honestly it's not the best camera out there.

7. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

OP,
    Have you looked at the Canon HX-A1 (it's $3200)?

For your budget the HV20/30 is yer best bet, but if you want a solid, entry level camera you'll need a much bigger budget. And if you want to try and replicate what you see on TV you'll need a much, much bigger budget (as well as the expertise to know how to properly use all the equipment).

Lethal

8. fluidedge macrumors 65816

fluidedge

can i ask why you feel you need 1080p and 24F? The sony V1 or Z1 fits exactly in your price range and has all the features except 1080p. It's a very good camera in bright conditions, though you have to be good a tweaking settings to get good performance indoors.

why would HDV be a bonus? What else did you want to shoot in? XDCAM/HDCAM are way out of your price bracket unless you want to sell your house.

9. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

I second LethalWolfe. If you have the money, the Canon HX A1 should meet your needs. Otherwise the Canon HV20 or HV30 would be the best camcorders to get.

I would ignore the sub $1000 3CCD HD camcorders on the market because 1) they don't use proper HD sensors and 2) they are beaten in quality by most CMOS camcorders.

10. trudd macrumors regular

trudd

The HV20 has a full 1920x1080 sensor, but its raster is only 1440x1080 (handicap of HDV).

I'm a fan of the XH-A1. For documentary/field work, tape is still nice. Otherwise go with the EX-1...higher bitrate, over/undercranking, AMAZING lens and incredible LCD, solid state recording....and $6500.

For the money, the XH-A1 is hard to beat. It theoretically does 1080p if you use the 30f or 24f framerates (I hesitate to say that, because inevitably someone will point out that it isn't real 24p. Technically, it isn't since it is combining two interlaced fields - but the eye can't tell the difference). It has XLR input, 3 CCDs, decent lens with manual focus, zoom, and aperture adjustment (servo based). And it's around $3,200.

I use mine in addition to the Letus Extreme...here are some results... http://vimeo.com/712895

11. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

I really wish people would get over this whole hang-up over "needing" 1080/24p. Consumer video cameras don't do true 24p, period. About the cheapest camera that will is the Panasonic HVX200, and that's a prosumer camera. Unfortunately, marketing drives consumer products. We live in a world where Sony tells you that you need a camera that can do "x.v.Color, full 1080p and 24p" (on a tiny single-chip sensor and a low bitrate codec, of course).

Furthermore, unless you plan on exhibiting your finished projects off a computer, there's no totally economical way to distribute HD content on disc-based media. Blu-ray authoring is a PITA and currently available consumer BD burners are SLOW. Most likely, you'll be authoring your finished work on DVDs like most of us. DVD players don't do 24p at all (they do a reverse 3:2 pulldown to 30 frames) AND most consumer TVs don't do true 24p natively, even if you did author to Blu-ray.

Seriously, there's more important things to look for in cameras than 1080/24p, at your price range. Sensor, lens quality and practical features (like XLR inputs, recording media type and codec, etc.) are all far more important than whether or not the camera will do 1080/24p.

I would agree that the XH-A1 is a pretty nice camera for the money, as are the Sony V1 and X1.

Now, the Panasonic HVX200 might be a little out of your price range, but you will get true 24p recording on P2 media and it has a superior codec (DVCPRO HD). However, the most common shooting mode used for this camera due to sensor limitations is 720p24N.

All of these cameras mentioned produce excellent results and are not true 1080/24p. Consider this: the ISF (Imaging Science Foundation) even says that things like contrast and lack of artifacting in moving image are far more important than resolution in the grand scheme of things.

12. Tattoo macrumors 6502

Sony HVR-HD1000U
    Its only $1,500.00

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HmX6GlKCFo

13. JustDom89 macrumors member

JustDom89

anyone recommend a Canon Vixia HV30???????????

14. iBeard macrumors regular

I know it's not in your price range, but I really don't think anyone should buy anything other than Panasonic's HVX200.

That's just me though...

15. NP3 macrumors regular

I second this. And with how fast P2 cards have fallen in price since it came out, it wipes away my only gripe with it.

Please look at things other than pixel resolution...for example I hated the original Sony Z1 (well besides the fact it had the crappy version of HDV)
    because:

The focus ring was EXTREMELY touchy. I would barely nudge it and the focus point would move 3 meters. A royal PITA when you're trying to pull focus with 5 markers.

Also, DVCPROHD Is FAR SUPERIOR to HDV. Its been around longer, and it isn't owned by one company. If you're planning to spend this much money on a camera--don't get anything smaller than this camera...anything 'super handheld' will be a whirlwind of pixels that happen to be in some favor of HD.

THIS SITE: http://www.2-popforums.com/forums/ Has been a great resource for me for years.

16. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

That's kinda like saying you don't think a carpenter should buying anything besides a hammer. If the HVX200 meets your needs that's great, but it's far from an end all, be all sub $10k camera.

For production work w/these levels of cameras not really.

Lethal

17. NP3 macrumors regular

go with what LethalWolfe says. <--Very smart.

And you didn't state what you are using it for. Production work where there's already an established workflow?

To build off what LethalWolfe said, while yes, I push the HVX as a great camera, it depends on a whole lot of things you haven't told us. (thus there's more tools than hammers, as well as many small variations on the standard 'hammer'.

Work or home
    TV or Film
    what is the look you're going for?
    special effects / color correction post work?

There's a ton of websites out there devoted to this question--make sure you look at 2pop.

18. trudd macrumors regular

trudd

Lethal already put it better than I could.

...go check out the EX1.

HVX200 - 960x540 imagers that use pixel shift to get "HD"
    EX1 - 1920x1080 imagers, full HD raster

There are pros and cons to both cameras, but the EX1 sweeps in imaging department.

Back to the topic, 24p is great to have, but far from the only "filmic" factor. Lighting is crucial to getting the film look, as well composition and color correction.

19. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

Sound advice. Decided to wait and play more with the iddy bitty JVC GR-DV500U until I've mastered doing what I want to the limits of it. By that time, the HV20 will probably drop like $100, or the HV40 may be out.