Best HD for 15.4" MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mrfracas, May 30, 2011.

1. mrfracas macrumors newbie

Is there anyone here who can advise the best 500GB HD for a 2007 2.33GHz 15.4" MBP?

I've got a MBP that's about 4 years old, and it currently has a factory installed Hitachi 5400rpm 120GB HD.

It's a great HD, but I'd like a lot more space.

I'm looking for a 500GB HD that takes into account the following:

• Quiet performance at all times, especially when accessing data
    • Low heat
    • Good longevity (if my current HD has lasted so long, I don't see why another one shouldn't be the same)
    • No major drain on battery

One of the main things I'd like to take into account is the long-running debate over spindle speed: Is 7200 really better than 5400? If noise, heat and battery drain with 7200 are more obvious than 5400, then I'm not interested.

Thank you! :)

2. thunng8 macrumors 6502a

WD 750GB Scorpio Black.

I wish this idea of much greater noise/heat from 7200RPM would go away. It hasn't been true for at least 5 years now.

http://techreport.com/articles.x/20255/9

the 7200rpm drive is 1DB louder and uses 0.3W more than the 5400RPM model under load (scorpio black vs blue).

I think the marginal difference in noise/power is worth it for a drive that is more than 30% faster.

3. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

The Scorpio Black is a great drive but I'd recommend you also take a look at the Momentous XT. Its a hybrid drive and while there are some reported issues in general the performance is significantly better than any purely mechanic hard drive. I'm of the opinion that the issues with it may be a little overblown.

Check it out for yourself though, its a remarkable drive.

4. duffer6 macrumors 6502

Dustin, I own the Momentous XT and love it. The issues are overblown and Seagate continues to update the firmware if and when it is needed. I love it and will never go back to a pure HDD again.

5. mrfracas thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the help.

Now, for comparison, can anyone recommend a reliable HD drive that is 5400rpm, and is not a hybrid?

It must be 500GB+ and very quiet.

Many Thanks :)

6. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Just get another Hitachi. I use the 500 GB 7200 RPM and it's great--quiet, no vibration, and so far have had no trouble with it.

7. mrfracas thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you Naimfan.

Can you direct me to the specific drive that you speak of, please.

Many Thanks :)

8. dmccloud macrumors 6502a

dmccloud

I also can vouch for the Momentus XT. I installed one in a Windows laptop (cloning the original HDD to the new one), and boot times increased by 40 seconds, and programs now load in a flash. I'm actually considering picking up a second one to use in my MBP.

9. mrfracas thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your advice, dmccloud.

But I'm actually looking for some good long term feedback on a hard disk drive that's been used in a 15.4" MacBook Pro (preferably early-to-mid 2007).

I'm not keen on hybrid drives as yet; and I've heard mixed feedback about the Momentus XT when being used in a MacBook Pro.

However, many thanks again. :)

10. Morrile macrumors member

Morrile

I have the 55Gb installed and it doubled the speed of my mac. I would recommend this 100%, worth every penny :D