Best HD for my optical bay?

Groveboulevard

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 1, 2019
South Florida
I'm finally replacing the 750 GB HD in my 2012 MBP 15" to a 500 gb Crucial SSD. I'm going to transfer the original HD to my optical bay as well. (the adapter for that is coming same day as the SSD). Once I get the original HD into the optical bay will all of my apps and everything still be on the computer after I set up the SSD as the boot drive? If not what will I need to do? I also plan on replacing the original 750 HD to a 1TB HD because I want the extra space. Whats your recommendation for a quiet and fast HD?

mroy16

macrumors regular
May 28, 2017
If you're on a budget and already adding 500 GB of SSD, why do you want to upgrade the current HDD? You say you intend to place it in the optical bay, so why not stick with that? Is another 250 GB internal storage really necessary?

Stephen.R

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
The cheapest (and known brand) 2.5" 1TB SSD I found is about $120 on NewEgg, the cheapest 2.5" 1TB spinning rust drive I found is about $40. Why not just wait till you have another $80 to spend and get the immense benefit of an SSD?

mroy16

macrumors regular
May 28, 2017
It's a 2012 MBP. I'd encourage your to save what you can for the day it stops working. Adding 250 GB of extra spinning storage doesn't seem like a great value proposition, especially for a 7 year old machine.

Of course, you can do whatever you'd like. I've always had good luck with the WD brand. I have a 1TB 7200 WD Black installed in my linux desktop.

hallux

macrumors 68030
Apr 25, 2012
If you go through with this, I suggest sticking the SSD in the optical bay. I don't believe the optical bay has the sudden motion sensor that parks the heads on a platter drive if the machine is dropped. If you're going to stick with your original plan, I suggest getting a replacement cable for the original drive location as they have a tendency to fail and if it's even slightly questionable the issue can show its head with the extra speed needed from the SSD. You might consider swapping that cable even if you're NOT putting the SSD there, it's only a matter of time and adds only a small bit to the cost of the project.