Best HD size for family time machine?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by oify, Mar 20, 2008.

1. oify macrumors newbie

After the new airport update, I can use my airport extreme as time machine network :D

I have three computers I'd like to hook up to a hard drive on my airport extreme to use with time machine, but what's the best size to get?

The three computers use around 250GB altogether, but I know more files will be added over time.

Would 500GB be enough, or would 750GB or even 1TB be better?

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

I would go for a drive the size of all the HDs together or larger, just to be safe. Also, you can have several HDs connected using a USB hub, giving each system its own Time Machine Drive, which should be about the same size as the systems drive.

TEG

3. oify thread starter macrumors newbie

sounds like a good idea, the size of all of them is about 390GB.

so 500gb would probably be the best, would I be able to find a "bus-powered" version that only uses one usb cord?

4. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

5. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

No, if you have 3 400GB HDs you want at least 1TB. At that size, you will need a poweradapter to keep it running, as most require more power than USB can supply.

TEG

6. ziwi macrumors 65816

ziwi

also, remember that you do not need to backup 'everything' just what you will need - so that will reduce the size requirements too. That being said, still plan on growth.

7. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

I was unable to get my HD to show up as a TM target in TM prefs, called apple tech support and they told me the update DID NOT support AEBS with external HD and TM! I was so mad I hung up instead of cussing.
    Is there somewhere that says the update 7.3.1 allows AEBS w/External HDD to be used as a TM target?