Best HD upgrade nowadays for MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by joms, Dec 25, 2009.

1. joms macrumors member

I believe that the best overall upgrade HD before for the june 13" MBP was the 500GB western digital blue 5400rmp.

Is there a new leader nowadays? Did WD release a larger HD that performs better than their WD blue 500GB 5400rpm ?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

It depends what is "best".
    Size can be a factor, but also speed and even price.

The biggest 2.5" HHD that does fit into a MBP (maybe only into the 17") has 640GB to offer, the fastest are various SSDs up to 512GB or an HDD with 7200rpm.

3. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

What this guy says.
    I don't even think that 500GB WD was "best", there were other hard drives which were better, but it depends what you need it for.

4. joms thread starter macrumors member

well lets remove SSD from the equation for the meantime. Wasn't it a battle between seagate 500GB vs WD blue 500GB?

When i meant best, what i meant was overall performance/price for that of drives in the 500gb range.

Is there a 500GB+ drive nowadays that would perform better than the WD bllue 500GB?

Also, what brand of mem stick would be good to buy now? 4GB (2x2GB)

5. ZazenZach macrumors member

i would never use a 500gb drive as my main hd. all the tech geeks gave me a good reason (can't remember why, maybe because 500 drives have a higher failure rate). but that's just me.

6. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

Always have at least two copies of your data no matter what.

7. reallynotnick macrumors 6502a

I would assume the new 640GB WD Blue is a little faster because of the higher platter density.

As far as RAM goes I usually stick with Crucial, great brand and usually a great price, that's what I have in my machine right now.

8. HellDiverUK macrumors 6502

I noticed little difference between the 160GB Scorpio Blue and the 250GB Scorpio Black, apart from the Black being considerably noisier.

The Crucial SSD is fantastic, though. Seriously beats the crap out of the Scorpio Black.