Best HD video player

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by silbeej, Sep 25, 2007.

1. silbeej macrumors 6502a

So i've got VLC player, but when i attempt to watch 1080p video, it starts struggling, but i see that it is only using one core. Anyone know of a program like vlc, but uses both cores?

thanks

2. epheterson macrumors newbie

bump

So a year later, is there a better video player for Mac that uses both cores?

mPlayer hasn't been updated since '04 and I don't think it'd play so well with 1080p.

3. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

What about quicktime? I have no problem playing 720p on my macbook in QT. I've tried playing 1080p, but it just downscales anyway on this screen.

4. epheterson macrumors newbie

Well I (eerily) have the same setup as you, just with 2gb instead of 3 and I can play 720 without a hitch usually, but 1080 just destroys this poor thing.

I really feel sad for it.

Quicktime works for 720 but can't handle 1080, just like VLC.

mPlayer isn't really dead, just the link the last guy posted is:
    http://www.mplayerhq.hu/design7/news.html

I tried it and it has a nice feature where it'll keep trucking and just drop frames to keep up but it's no good at all. I'm still on a hunt to find some way to watch 1080 on this poor machine.

5. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

OSXBMC rarely drops frames in 1080p my my mini HTPC. Its ffmpeg libs underneath, however, so the results will probably be no diff from mplayer.

6. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Add Flip4Mac plug-in to Quick Time and you can play WMV and AVI HD files.

7. epheterson macrumors newbie

Yo, creepy avatar.

I'm downloading the latest OSXBMC right now, I'll come back to let you know how it is. In all honesty, I doubt we'll find a solution, but I'd like to exhaust all my resources before I give up.

And Julien, thank you for being helpful but the problem here is not playing movie files (I never even mentioned WMV), but instead getting hugely intense video files to play nicely.

8. epheterson macrumors newbie

flopticalcube! Thank you! 1080p works great on OSXBMC somehow!

I still have a few kinks to work out, mostly because I don't know how to use this thing, but the video is clear as day and not a frame drop in sight. Thanks!

If you know how, could you tell me how to get this to only run on an external screen? Also, can you jump though a movie with this program or just watch it straight though. Clicking on the slider did nothing for me.

Thanks again :)

-Eric

Edit: I got how to run it on an external screen, and it seems it just can't jump though the video for MKV files, which I can live with. Overall I'm very happy with this solution. :)

9. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Glad you're happy. Apple remote compatibility is now part of OSXBMC, btw. A new version should be out next week, too.

mmmhmmmmhmmmm.....;)

10. ansabakhan macrumors 65816

ansabakhan

11. sup3r1or macrumors regular

I have the same issue here with my MBP 2010 model (13 inch) I tried moviest which is much better than VLC. However 1080p avatar movie brings my MBP to its knees.

You know whats funny? I dont need people to ******** about the CPU is not good enough. My friend has Dell XPS 13 old model with 1.4 Ghz CPU, with the right set of codecs on windows (you need to get the right one though) it plays 1080p movies flawlessly. Its absurd that same cant happen on MAC, so many years have passed and hearing OSX is great but still doesnt have proper software and codecs.

P.S 1080p movies on moviest load my CPU to up to 150% wtf

12. ansabakhan macrumors 65816

ansabakhan

that's very strange ... i wonder what professional editors play their 1080p videos on using MAC i know a lot of HD editing is done on MACS so what r people using to play these videos?

13. sup3r1or macrumors regular

Perhaps custom built Mac PRos with 12 cores for 13,000 dollars. Just to make sure that its enough raw power to digest.

14. MacinDan macrumors regular

When all else fails, try MPlayer OSX Extended.

When MPlayer OSX Extended fails, try Mplayer from the command line. Your computer will rock.

15. bender o macrumors 6502

bender o

Excuse me but what does that mean :)?

16. sup3r1or macrumors regular

17. ansabakhan macrumors 65816

ansabakhan

yes MKV files

18. MissDenise macrumors newbie

I use VLC and did a little edit in the advanced/All settings under video codecs/FFmpeg and set skip the loopfilter for x264 on "NON REF" for a smoother playing of 1080 movies and series..look the snapshot to click on the link below.

http://gyazo.com/6f151e9f73ac64e5ccf9ce4badc88a20.png

If im home i use PLEX to watch movies and series and such from my stand alone servers ...awesome because Plex is build for Mac as basic OS...like xbmc is for windows more.