Best HD WD 1TB for my MacPro 08?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by umbilical, Mar 12, 2009.

1. umbilical macrumors 6502a

hi I want buy a 2nd HD 1tb Western Digital for my mac pro 08, I want for music, movies and backup...

which of this 2 you recommend the black or green?
    http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Western Digital/WD1001FALS/
    http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Western Digital/WD10EADS/

I prefer the black beacuse have 2 more years of warranty and is more fast and maybe more secure... but say that is more loud that green, and I hate noise thing, how more is loud the black over the green? is a lot the noise???

any recomendations, thanks guys!

2. Frozengeek macrumors member

Don't go WD

Get the Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB. Similar performance, cheaper, and it's a lot quieter than the black.

Don't go green.

3. kirreip macrumors regular

look here, might help

Look at this:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/storage/display/640gb-hdd-roundup.html

It is about the 640 GB models but I figured it might be of general interest.

4. Cliff3 macrumors 65816

Cliff3

I have the WD1001FALS drive in a fanless external enclosure. It's plenty quiet. FWIW, that drive goes for $104 on Amazon.

5. canonballs macrumors member

I wonder whence the unflinching loyalty to WD. Do hard drives now have to be installed in matched pairs too? (I've never really thought of Mac Pros as Noah's Arks.)

6. mr1970 macrumors member

I have an old G4 with 2 x Seagate 120GB IDE and 2 x 1TB WD Blacks, and installing the Blacks made no difference at all to the noise - I find them basically inaudible even with the case open.

Are they completely silent? Probably not. Are they as quiet as the Green? Again, probably not. But fan noise the major contributor to the overall dB level from where I'm sitting.

7. AdamTro macrumors member

Exactly. You can't even really hear drives with the fans going.

8. PowerPaw macrumors member

If you are concerned with noise the new Texas Memory Systems RamSan-20 will give you 450GB usable for around $40 per GB - a home equity loan should cover it :D

Otherwise you shouldn't go too far wrong with the WD RE3 drive if you want to sitick with Western Digital.

9. osin macrumors 6502

I was in similar position lately. I needed 1TB drive for a backup and went with Green version. Mostly because I don't need the speed of the Black for my backup drive and secondly Newegg had the Green drive for $89.99 with free shipping...

10. PowerPaw macrumors member

There is also an enterprise version of the Green (WD RE2-GP) if you are looking for improved reliability and 5 year warranty. As stated these are lesser performing, consume less power and only have a 16MB cache.

11. umbilical thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks guys, what is OEM ???? I see on amazon OEM more cheap that other whitout OEM ???

12. AdamTro macrumors member

After some research, I just ordered 3 of these 1TB Black WDs to put in my 2008 2.8.

13. Cliff3 macrumors 65816

Cliff3

OEM means the product doesn't come with retail packaging. No pretty box, basically.

14. umbilical thread starter macrumors 6502a

wow cool and you installed yet? what you think about it? are noisy? I have the same mac pro.

15. umbilical thread starter macrumors 6502a

and that OEM packing is same as good packing of the retail?

16. Cliff3 macrumors 65816

Cliff3

They're both packaged to arrive safely at your door.

Retail = [​IMG]

OEM = anti-static baggie.

For me, that pretty box isn't worth $25.

17. AdamTro macrumors member

Will get them in next week. I just ordered a 2.8 so I don't have that yet either. I do have one of the 750GB WD Blacks here and I can barely hear the thing. 4 drives running at the same time will make noise for sure but the Apple fans usually drown them out.

BTW ordering these from Newegg are cheaper than anywhere else I've seen. They arrive wrapped in bubble wrap without the pretty retail box. But same drive.

18. kirsch92 macrumors member

OEM also means no cables. So you will need to buy cables if you don't have extras laying around.

19. kudukudu macrumors regular

I think the quality variance on these drives is high enough that it is still a crap shoot on whether you actually get a quiet one.

I recently purchased the WD 1TB Green drive since I am using it mostly for storage of home movies. Ironically, The 1TB Green is the noisiest drive I have in my early 2008 mac pro and has a very distinct hum during start-up that doesn't sound particularly smooth. I also have a 750GB WD drive and the 320GB Seagate that came with my mac pro as well as couple of 1TB WD external mybooks that are almost completely silent.

20. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

Not for a mac pro! I just made a 1TB caviar black my main drive, don't notice it being any louder. Used to have a Seagate 1TB that is now my backup drive.

21. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

HD154UI (1.5TB SATA300) drives are $100 right now. These are the F2 Spinpoint EcoGreen Raid-Class drives but they're about the same speed or a little faster than the 1TB performance drives. It's like getting an extra 500GB and some power savings for free. :)

22. nicolasmasset macrumors regular

23. Andrew Henry macrumors 6502a

Honestly, I have 3 x 1TB WD Caviar Black harddrives in my Mac Pro, and I'm sitting right next to it, and even during video encoding I can't hear them at all? So whoever said that they are really loud, must have a super quiet room..

24. filmweaver macrumors regular

He's buying them for a Mac Pro, you don't need cables.

25. filmweaver macrumors regular

What ever you do don't get a Segate 1Tb drive. I just had one fail and now I don't even want to warranty it because it was a backup drive. I really don't know if I can trust my data won't be recovered and used for piracy so I may just drill a hole through it and call it experience. My WD 1TB Green drive is running great, I hope it is not jinxed now.