Best HD Webcam for Mac Mini?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by transitman, May 16, 2010.

1. transitman macrumors member

I'm searching for a high-quality video producing webcam for use with my Mac Mini (Oct 2009 refresh). Is the Logitech Quickcam Vision Pro for Mac the best option? Most webcams are not compatible with Mac. Any other ideas?

2. Merzie macrumors member

That one seems like the best for macs. I didn't do a whole lot of looking but it should work. you've probably got a good mac mini if it's an '09.

3. transitman thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, there are a very limited supply of webcams for Macs. Probably because all the MacBooks have them built in. I'm welcome to anyone else with any suggestions. Thanks.

4. omtatsat macrumors member

omtatsat

The Apple iSight is the best camera around followed by the Logitech. I have the iSight and its really a very sophisticated Cam.

5. danec1987 macrumors newbie

Do you mean the external or internal iSight? I find the internal iSight on my MacBook is capable of taking pretty good pictures/video in daylight but when it comes to slight darkness / artificial light it can become quite fuzzy.

The 'screen flash' is genius though!

I'm sure Logitech do quite a variety of HD webcams that are superior to the iSight but it depends on how important picture quality is to you.

6. danec1987 macrumors newbie

7. lifesizehd macrumors newbie

Not exactly

LifeSize cameras go with LifeSize codecs, which is hardware. Although we are owned by Logitech, we function more in the business-to-business space. Our only software product is LifeSize Desktop, which does not currently work on Mac (though it works on PC with Logitech cameras.)

As of now, only hardware, like LifeSize video conferencing, can send HD quality video. Those "HD" web-cams can RECORD in HD, but they can't send it. Not yet anyways.

Thanks for checking out the LifeSize website, and if you are looking for affordable video conferencing for your business, we're the place to go.

Sarah Eshelman
    LifeSize Communications.

8. Decrepit macrumors 65816

Decrepit

I'm running with a Logitech QuickCam Ultra Vision SE, and use Skype all the time. It's really nice.

That said, if Apple would produce a modern iSight for the Mac Mini and Mac Pro customers out there, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.