Best HDD for macbook pro replacement - 500GB

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by brettatredback, Feb 26, 2010.

1. brettatredback macrumors newbie

2. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

i wouldent take hitatchi is someone gave it to me for free.

WD/Seagate/Samsung are much better brands, i have sold many hitatchi's and none made it through warranty periods without returns.

i personally like WD or Samsung.

Never toshiba/hitatchi

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Lots of threads and recommendations on this

I personally like and use the 500 GB Western Digital Scorpio Blue

4. boostmiser macrumors member

Can someone guide me to a tutorial on this? Does a copy of OSX come with the MBP? If so, I can just reinstall it on the new HDD or do I need to clone the original HDD to the new HDD?

5. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Yes, a new MBP will come with "restore discs"
    And you can do either, a clean installation or your can clone the current drive

6. Fuchal macrumors 68020

Unlike the other poster, I strongly recommend the Hitachi. Have it running in 2 machines and has performed flawlessly. Had a bad streak of WD + Seagates lately.

My Hitachi 500gb 7200 is cool, quiet, and fast.

7. Jacquesass macrumors regular

Agreed. WD does not have a 500GB 7k drive. The Seagate 500GB 7k drive was the first on the market, and initially suffered from firmware issues (IIRC, it was due to a conflict b/w the Mac sudden motion sensor and the Seagate drop protection).

The Hitachi is relatively new, faster and quieter than the Seagate, and can be found for well under $100. I bought when it first came out and it has run flawlessly.

8. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

I have the WD 640gb 5400rpm and it's loud lol. I'm planning on getting the Hitachi...You should look into that one and seagate if you want a 7200rpm. other than that...I would go WD for the rest :D

9. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

10. Malithion macrumors member

Malithion

I bought the Hitachi three or so weeks ago and it works great so far. Only thing is it came in a totally different box than what Newegg shows there. No biggie though. Quiet, cool and speedy too.

11. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I just bought a hitachi 500gb 7200rpm last week (replaced my 320GB 7200rpm hitachi drive) and it runs much cooler and a bit faster.

Awesome drive and the price was just right.

12. safelder macrumors member

I've had great luck with Hitachis in a Thinkpad T60, a Thinkpad T400, and a late 2009 Macbook. It's possible that I fill them and upgrade them before I've owned them long enough to see a failure, but I somehow doubt it.

13. bigaudiofanatic macrumors regular

I also will be going with WD drives for my MBP. I upgraded my drive in my old mac with a WD and never had a problem. To me WD is the best you can buy.

14. TheWart macrumors newbie

I have been wanting to upgrade my stock HD in my june mbp, but I am so afraid after all the 'spinning beachball' stories that people have - especially with the WD's.

Is the SATA firmware downgrade necessary with the Hitachi's?

15. tga3 macrumors newbie

Wierd. I just installed a WD Scorpio Blue 640GB, and it's totally quiet. I've used several of this line of drives in laptops (thinkpads and MacBooks), and they're great.

16. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

I personally am a fan of Western Digital drives. I have all of their drives externally. But lately, I got the Hitachi 7K500. WD just doesn't have a 7200RPM 500GB drive in the market... otherwise I'd get that one in a heart beat.

The 640GB Western Digital Scorpio Blue is a piece of crap when I used it. Maybe I had a bad drive but it was SO slow. I barely got 15MB/s sustained transfer on that drive. The current 500GB 7200RPM gets 50MB/s sustained transfer. I know 5400RPM are slower then 7200RPM but come on...

I personally want a 750GB or 1TB right now. If the 1TB reach under $200, I might get one. The 17" can fit 12.5mm drives without any problems.

17. hundert macrumors regular

hundert

I have 500 GB Western Digital Scorpio Blue
    because it won most of the tests in its speed category.

18. Repo macrumors 6502a

Repo

Take a look at this.

19. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

When I'm in class I can feel vibration as well as hearing it revving. Kind of annoying when the prof is lecturing 5ft away...and I sit in the back...

When the refresh comes out, for the MBP, I might hold off on switching hard drives...I might just keep it hackintoshed on my netbook :]

20. paintballswimgu macrumors 6502

I bought a 500 gb OEM seagate from newegg over the summer and it just failed recently, so i'd ovoid the models they have out right now

21. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Naw, I know the drives are out. I'm just waiting for the prices to come down. Get it?

Infact, I was at Fry's today and saw a 1TB 2.5" 12.5mm drive for $179, but they were out of stock or I'd would've purchased one already.

22. fs454 macrumors 65816

Wait, is it true that the 17" can fit 12.5mm drives without problems?

23. gaps macrumors member

gaps

Hitachi

Very happy with mine. Cool, quiet, and fast!!!

24. MDemm macrumors newbie

Hitachi all the way

The WD 640gb HDD without a doubt was the loudest Hard Drive I have ever dealt with… I had another issue, which I considered worse... This was a constant 1 to 2 second lag / delay while spinning up / seeking… Do yourself a favor, time / money wise... Get the Hitachi 500gb 7200 HDD... It works great on my MacBook Pro 15" !!! Tiger direct sells them for $ 75.00 / free shipping after rebate... http://tinyurl.com/ycuda29 I've just installed the Hitachi 500gb... Its fast, its silent... IT WORKS !!!

25. ubercool macrumors 6502a

ubercool

I see that the first commenter complained that the Hitachi Tiger Direct sent him was not eligible for the rebate. Did you get the right model number? :confused: