Best HDhomeRun Viewer for the Mac?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by gpspad, Mar 18, 2017.

1. gpspad macrumors 6502

I realize this is the ATV forum, but figured most people with HDHomeRun Tuners get them for ATV and may also have also have Mac's. I have a HDHomeRun Prime with a cable card. I'd like to view and record shows on my mac.

What are the best viewer and DVR software for the latest mac OS?

I am guessing I am out of luck as far as the DRM channels, but HDHomeRun's Mac Viewer isn't great and I can't seem to figure out how too get Plex to use the tuner.

2. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

Channels App for Apple TV and Channels DVR for the MAC is what I use.

3. jdag macrumors 6502a

I use Channels for ATV...I can't imagine it being much better than it already is. I don't use the Channels DVR, mainly because I rarely record anything. So instead I use the Plex DVR for the rare recordings since I have Plex Pass and the DVR function is free for Plex Pass subscribers.

That being said, I tested the Channels DVR mainly out of curiosity, and if you do make use of a DVR, Channels is better than Plex's option for a number of reasons. Most notably that it integrates all of your "live TV" viewing within the ATV's Channels app.

4. gpspad thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for all the replies; while I would like to record a show from time to time, I am trying to get away from monthly fees. I don't think I can justify $8/month for a program just to view my HDHOMERUN on my Mac. I installed the DVR Beta, but it doesn't work as a viewer w/o activating the DVR service.

I guess I am stuck with the free HDHomeRun Mac App, but I find it very basic. No settings, and can't turn off tuners, or open multiple windows showing different channels. But I guess it does it'd job.

I have tried to get VLC to see the HDHR prime, but it doesn't seem to see my HDHR Prime.

5. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

I have been using EyeTV 3 for many years, first with the Elgoto Hybrid (which failed about a year and a half ago). But my HDHomerun Extend has been really challenging to use. There is a lot of stuttering with it and, as you said, the Silicon Dust playback software is a bit spartan. So, I just have to deal with EyeTV for my DVR.

6. gpspad thread starter macrumors 6502

I have eyety 3 from my elgato hybrid, I couldn't get it to recognize my hdhomerun prime. Which hardware do you select for it in the settings?

7. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

I have it set for HDHomeRun under the Devices tab. I'm using version 3.6.8 of EyeTV.