Best HDMI input available?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Andy Greenow, Jan 27, 2014.

1. Andy Greenow macrumors newbie

Hi,

I need a way to input an HDMI source into my iMac (2013 model). I use the two thunderbolt ports for external display so I am a bit stuck along those routes. Any ideas???

Thanks in advance!

2. RCAFBrat macrumors regular

3. sjschall macrumors newbie

Can't you daisy chain your displays and free up a port?

4. Andy Greenow thread starter macrumors newbie

My displays arn't the thunderbolt displays, just VGA ones.

5. Buehrens macrumors newbie

Connect display via USB3

The Blackmagic Design Intensity Shuttle device is very particular when used on used on a USB3 connection. They have a list of accepted motherboards, PC's, etc. And even then, they don't always work. I've tried on PC's - not fun. But, the Thunderbolt version of the Intensity Shuttle is different. It works with Macs.

What I would suggest is move one of your monitors over to USB. This can be accomplished with an adapter that is USB3 on one end and video connection of choice on the other end - VGA, DVI or HDMI. The video end will depend on the video connections on your monitors. This will free up one of the Thunderbolt ports on your iMac. Then you can connect the Thunderbolt Intensity Shuttle into that port. Make sure you do thorough testing before your "return" period runs out. Check out http://plugable.com/platforms/apple They have quite a selection of products.

Good luck!!

6. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Get the Thunderbolt version of the Intensity Shuttle..I have it and I love the thing. I use it all the time for a variety of things, the USB 3.0 version only works with specific motherboards and USB 3.0 chipsets.

7. Andy Greenow thread starter macrumors newbie

In reply to Shuttle.

A question about the black magic intensity shuttle for thunderbolt. Can I use two inputs at once? One through HDMI and the other through Component? My main use for this will be to have two cameras coming through to BoinxTV (Live Video Editing Software) and I was wondering If I can use this as a way of having two feeds to use for my production? Or does it only work so I can only use HDMI or RCA at a time?

Thanks