Best HDR Camcorder

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by geekygeek, Mar 16, 2012.

1. geekygeek macrumors regular

Obviously I need one for Mac. I want one of those professional camcorders that shoot in HD. Those cool looking ones that the paparazzi use :p. I want one that has the best bang for the buck. I don't need 3D recording and stuff. It can also double as a camera.

2. simsaladimbamba

Budget? Examples?
    Do you mean "HD" or "HDR", as they mean something completely different?

HD = High Definition (video)
    HDR = High Dynamic Range (photography and video)

Do you have any other requirements than "cool looking" and "best bang for the buck" (which depends on the amount of bucks)?

PS: You don't need one for Mac specifically though, almost all work with Windows and Mac OS X?
    PPS: What paparazzo uses a camcorder? Do you mean a DSLR perhaps?

3. ppc_michael Guest

ppc_michael

For a while the go-to DSLR video cameras have been the Canon 5D Mk II and the Canon 7D. The 5D Mk III has just been released, so I'm sure that will quickly become a favorite. There are certainly many others, though.

4. geekygeek thread starter macrumors regular

Oh haha, I thought HDR meant High Definition Recording. I did hear of the 5D Mark III like that last guy said. I'm looking around <$2000.

5. simsaladimbamba

Then the 5D Mark II and III are out of your reach, as they cost 2.200 USD and 3.500 USD without lens. Maybe you can find better deals for the II on eBay or other vendors, but you need a lens or two too.
    If you want a DSLR, look at these and their respective reviews here.

Unless you primarily want to shoot video, then a dedicated camcorder might be a better suit, because even while a DSLR can shoot video, the built in mic is not as good as the microphones in dedicated camcorders, thus you need to buy an external one. Handling of a DSLR shooting video also differs from handling a camcorder, sometimes accessories are necessary to have a similar handling.

6. Babybandit macrumors regular

If you want a DSLR, Go with the GH2. Best Hands Down that isn't a 5D Mark 2. And it's only 900 with a kit lens. Though I would still suggest you purchase a low-light prime with it.

But trust me. Great Camera. Great Compatibility of Old Lens, which is great for cinematography. And the hacks just boost it's abilities that much more.

But if your focus is Photography with a little bit of Video, Nikon D7000. Again, under 2000 with a kit lens. Allowing you to budget some money for better lens. Though I would highly suggest the lower cost GH2 as it means you can spend some cash on Audio Equipments, which is just as important for video.

7. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

While the Nikon may be a better photo camera than similar priced Canon, Canon DSLR's have more features that are useful if you are shooting video like 720p @60fps and 1080p @30fps. Where as the Nikon can only do 1080p @ 24fps and can't do 60fps (which is useful if you want to do slowmo shots).