Best HDV Camera under $1000

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by GeekOFComedy, Feb 12, 2010.

1. GeekOFComedy macrumors 6502a

I am in the market for a new camcorder under $1000 that will deliver amazing quality. As in you can see every hair on the person / the best green screeing video camera ever. Probably HD Right? I can do DV but it must be clear enough that once edited can be bumped up to 1920x1080 / cinematic 1920x800. Cheers! (Perferably not AVACHD / H.264 because it's a pain in the butt to work with)

2. AnimaLeo macrumors 6502

If you are from Ireland, why arn't you paying for it with Euros instead of Dollars?

3. press1press40 macrumors newbie

Possibilities...

Well Geek that depends on what is important to you. Mic input, HDMI output, battery life, etc.
    I can speak on my own experience with a line of great HDV camcorders. Canon HV20,HV30,HV40. They take Mini DV tapes. The quality is great and the price is even better. Check HV20.com and you will find a whole community of enthused users of all cameras and used gear for sale. If you wanted to go brand new, the HV40 is no more than $800 from the most expensive retailer. Shop around and for $1000 you could almost get 2 cams for that $$$.

4. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

The Canon's previously mentioned are the most popular consumer HDV cameras but don't expect anything close to 'the best green screen camera ever' from a consumer device.

Lethal

5. pigbat macrumors regular

The Canon HFS100 is a solid camera and the new Panasonic HDC-TM700 looks nice as well.

6. GeekOFComedy thread starter macrumors 6502a

7. GeekOFComedy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oh because when you convert dollars to euros it comes to around €850 etc.

I'll take a look into these cameras, thanks. The Panasonic HDC-TM700

8. TheVidEditor macrumors regular

TheVidEditor

Why go HDV? You do realize that HDV quality is only 1440x1080, not 1920x1080, known as "Full HD".

9. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

W/the price range the OP is looking at it really doesn't make a difference. The lens, sensor, and in camera processing are going to be a bigger limiting factor than full raster vs non-full raster.

The OP also mentioned that s/he didn't want AVCHD because of the extra workflow requirements.

Lethal

10. GeekOFComedy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yea thats 1080i. Also used in HD TV Programs etc. Plus it's rectangle not square so i'm sure i can bump it up to 1080p if need be but youtube accepts 1440x1080 as 16:9 1080p. What do people think of the Panasonic HDC-TM700.

11. TheVidEditor macrumors regular

TheVidEditor

“For video enthusiasts looking for a feature-rich, high-performing, yet affordable High Definition Camcorder, Panasonic’s new TM700 and HS700 3MOS models will be a hit this year. We are excited to give consumers the ideal tool they need to capture their memories with superb quality.”

-Panasonic imaging product manager Chris Rice

How 'bout that for a review?

12. gødspeed macrumors regular

gødspeed

I think the Canon HV30 is the best value as far as HD prosumer camcorders go. But my recommendation is to wait until March and pick up a Canon Rebel T2i for $800... don't be fooled by the form factor, as it'll outperform any camcorder at that pricepoint that's currently on the market, with lens interchangeability to boot.

I picked up a Canon 7D pretty much only for video last month, and early reports suggest the T2i will put out comparable video quality -- at 1/2 the price. I won't trade my 7D in just because of the great weatherproofing, but the fact remains that the T2i will be a beast of an entry-level HD-DSLR.

edit -- it will be h.264, but I'm confused as to why you consider that workflow a hassle? MPEG Streamclip is a free app that converts it to whatever your editing preference may be.

13. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

vDSLRs are definitely an option as long as their shortcomings don't conflict w/what the OP needs out of a video camera. For example, being limited to 12min or 30min record times. Not bad if you are shooting a movie but problematic if you are taping a wedding or a football game.

Lethal

14. jayeskreezy macrumors 65816

Dell is having a huge sale right now. HV40 are like $500 I think. Check out the front page of www.slickdeals.net (it won't last long)

15. nelsencaleb macrumors regular

Hi, if you look on ebay, you could probably get a used, but good GL1 Canon recording camera if you like. My friend has one and it's really cool.

16. GeekOFComedy thread starter macrumors 6502a

I don't have 2 hours anymore to waste anymore to convert 15 mins for 1080p video on a 13" laptop that will probably overheat. BTW No DSLR Camcorders. I already have a 450D. Also can the GL1 look good in 1920x1080 blown up twice the size almost. Is it possible to get a CCD Camcorder under 1K that would do amazing in 1920x1080 even if it's not HD

17. GeekOFComedy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Would the Canon Gl1 look the same/better as the quality of the video in the Guild season 1 because that was shot in SD. And can the GL1 squish the video in for 16:9.

EDIT: No is there any CCD Cameras under 1K NEW.

18. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

The GL1 is ancient (it's 10 years old).

I don't know what camera was used on The Guild Season 1 but I really doubt it was a GL1 (or any other consumer camera). Even if you did buy the same type of camera they used there is a whole lot more that goes into how good the image is than the camera being used. Focusing on the camera is like having a really good meal and asking the chef what brand of cookware he uses. The skill of the chef, the recipe, and the quality of the ingredients are way more important than the brand of the pan he cooked it in.

CCDs are quickly being replaced almost across the board by CMOS because CMOS imagers are less expensive, consumer much less power and run cooler.

Lethal

19. pcypert macrumors 6502

With proper lighting my HV40 produces stunning results. Not as great at lower light, but for web distribution still really good. I used to have bigger 3CCD camcorders and am stunned at the images I can get from this tiny little camera... again in good light ;)

Paul