Best headphone jack extension?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BergerFan, Mar 19, 2008.

1. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

I love my 16GB iPhone, but the bundled ear buds absolutely suck. I've seen a headphone jack extension by Belkin, but that one doesn't seem to bend.
    Can anyone reccommend there any others?

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

I have the Belkin extension, to use with my Aviation Headset, and it bends, but is a little stiff so it is easy to find in the dark or when the iPhone is in a pocket.

TEG

3. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

I know this isn't quite what you want but I love my Shure MPA-3C.

I retain all the lovely pseudo remote control function of the original earbuds too.

I also have the Griffin adapter which isn't too bad and is miles better than the belkin.

4. bruno7 macrumors member

Get Griffin!

Hi,

Check out Griffin website, I have bought one today and I don't even have an iPhone yet! That will of course change very soon. :)
    I know Apple earbuds suck so I got myself Ultimate Ears Super Fi-5 Pro and those are probably the best headphones out there (within the given price range).
    So why would I use these crappy Apple ones when I can get an adapter for $10....

Take care.

D.

5. wesk702 macrumors 68000

wesk702

6. sr5878 macrumors 6502a

i just shaved off the plastic insulation around the very end of the plug with an x-acto knife. doesn't affect sound quality and it fits perfectly.

7. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

I did that with my cx300s. Worked a treat with the right angle plug. Very neat.

No answering calls and iTunes controls tho. That's why I got new cx400s and the Shure mic.

8. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

I have both the Griffin and the Belkin adapters. I had heard that when the Belkin came out it was too long, not sure if they changed it, but it is only about a little over an inch sticking out of the phone. that said, I wouldn't use it in my pocket or anything. I bought it for my desk at work to run into my desktop speakers. I have the Griffin for my car or headphones usage. I like it because it is very flexible. longer but flexible. They are both available at an apple store so no reason to go online.

and for $15 instead of $10 you can get the griffin with a splitter attachment that has independant volume sliders. nice for a movie on a plane.

9. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

get the v-moda vibe duos, with the microphone and button. they kill all other headphones i have used

10. RevolutionOne macrumors member

RevolutionOne

I have v moda vibe earphones too, i like them a lot.

i want to try the new etymotic hf2 iphone earphones though

11. subwire macrumors member

I got mine for 99 cents off ebay and it works great.

12. wfielder84246 macrumors member

sorry for hi jacking this thread a bit but:

Is it possible to get a mic / button lead headphone cable i can plug my big chunky audio technica head phones in? I hate in ear head phones but love the mic / button option for itunes and hands free. O even cutting the apple wire above the mic / button then soldering my headphones on?

13. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Which one is it that is about 3 inches long and about $15? I saw one at Circuit City today, but I didn't like the look of it one bit. It looked like a converted doper's needle as big as it was. I just want an itty bitty adapter.

14. gowanis macrumors 6502

i have both Griffin and Dynex (best buy). they both work fine. The Dynex is completely rigid, so i fear it could mess up the jack if jarred. the Griffin is better because the connector is a "wire" just like the apple earbuds.

15. Monk Edsel macrumors regular

I have the Monster. It's flexible, but not flexible enough to bend under its own weight, so it sticks up. My headphones have an L-type plug so it looks really funny. It annoys me, but at the moment there isn't anything I can do about it.

16. electrowave89 macrumors newbie

I just made my own. The ones in the store cost around $20, are stiff, and are easy to lose since they are small. I made one out of the iPod headphones and a 1/8" in-line audio jack from RadioShack ... it cost me 1 old pair of ipod head phones and $4. It is small and flexible and very easy to make (if you know how to solder, or can figure it out). If you would like instructions on how to make this let me know.

17. slsanity macrumors newbie

Possible to get a picture of the finished product?

18. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Don't cut and shave your $400 headphones...

I picked-up the Bose In-Ear Headphones and the plug is already fitted for the iPhone. By mistake, I went out and bought the "iJack" extension for about $10 and don't really need it now, but the nice thing is that it has a mic attached to it, and works just like the Apple standard issue headphones for the iPhone.:cool:

19. iSimon macrumors regular

The Monster adaptor does what you want and is what I use my headphones with. It is a stumpy adaptor that sticks about an inch and a quarter out from the iPhone - you plug your headphones into the end and it also has its own lead with the mic/button/clip on the end.

20. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

Shure MPA-3C. Works perfectly.

21. wfielder84246 macrumors member

22. Shabbis macrumors regular

I also have the v-moda duos. Great headphones. Although I like the fit of my bose in-ear triports better so I purchased the monster iphone adapter, it's pretty short and flexible.