Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Davidish

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2008
I'm also in the market or headphones! -high fives- :D

I've been thinking the new Apple In-Ears or Etymotics, but I've heard that some find the Etymotics uncomfortable in the ear? Knowing how I am, I probably end up going for the Apple ones. :cool: But can anyone clarify on the Etymotics?

Bigsam411

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2007
sorry to hijack this thread but im basically on the same topic. I have a choice between the shure se110's, 210's, and the new apple premium. I can get the 110's for around $50, the 210's for around 80, and the apple for around $65. I already have the monster iPhone headphone adapter so I have a remote if I get either of the Shure sets.

Im real close to picking one of the shure's but do you think the 210's are worth the extra $30 in my case?

mBurns

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2006
USA
Bang and Olufsen Form 2. $100 at Apple. Just purchased a pair, they're awesome. Not the most stylish but B&O has been developing them for 15 years. Supposedly they were going to discontinue the Form 2s but Apple felt more people would purchase these headphones than have so Apple pushed B&O to continue development. You can pick these headphones up at a B&O boutique (though no refunds or credits there if you decide you don't like them). I'd suggest picking them up at Apple.

beg_ne

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2003
Hi Guys, I'm thinking about buying a nice pair of in-ear headphones and am looking for some advice.

I've never owned a pair of earbuds better than the iPod ones so I am not too sure what to look for. I'm looking to spend about $100.

I've already looked at the V-Moda Vibe Duo 45, fyi.

Thanks

I really like my Seinnheiser CX300's I got the white pair so they match the typical iPod aesthetic. So far I think i've had them for about 6 months. You can get them cheap as heck from Amazon now, they were about $40 when I bought them.

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-CX...?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1228548710&sr=8-13

I also had a pair of V-Moda headphones, they were very Bass heavy but sounded good I guess. However their build quality was absolute GARBAGE. I had them less 6 months and in that time the rubber around the wires broke on BOTH earbuds, as well as the end where it plugs into the iPod, eventually the right earbud stopped working all together.

I like the Sennheiser because the earbuds have a nice rubbery sleeve near the ends so the wire doesn't bend so much, also the plug is an L shape so that end doesn't tend to bend as bad when you have it in your pocket etc.

Bengt77

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2002
Europe
Im real close to picking one of the shure's but do you think the 210's are worth the extra $30 in my case?
Yes, definitely. I have them and am very pleased with them. Even though it's public understanding that the ER6is are just as good for a lower price, I still like the Shures better because of the excellent 'olives' tips. Their fit is simple amazing and unparalleled. You don't get them with the SE110s.

basesloaded190

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
Wisconsin
I'm also in the market or headphones! -high fives- :D

I've been thinking the new Apple In-Ears or Etymotics, but I've heard that some find the Etymotics uncomfortable in the ear? Knowing how I am, I probably end up going for the Apple ones. :cool: But can anyone clarify on the Etymotics?

The only real problem i have had as far as comfort goes with etymotic as that after extreme lengths of time (im talking four or five hours strait) my ears would begin to feel sore. If your just going to be wearing them at casual or a few strait hours i wouldn't worry about any issues with comfort.

mg5904

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2008
Anyone have any experience with the Sennheiser MX 85 Sport IIs? I'm looking for a less-than-$100 pair for the gym and library, and these look pretty neat. I've had a pair with a similar headphone style as the Etymotic - that triple flange thing - and found it fairly uncomfortable.

[edit] Just read Amazon review on the Etymotic ER-4P mentioning a problem with cable noise - any movement of the cable is transmitted as noise into the earphone. The reviewer suggest the user remain still while using these headphones. This would be a problem at the gym.

prostuff1

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2005
Don't step into the kawoosh...
Check out the Westone UM1

They are a good, small set of headphones that deliver good sound.

I bought a pair for my sister and she loves them. I have the Shure SE210's and they are also very good, but a little more pricey then the Westone's.

basesloaded190

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
Wisconsin
[edit] Just read Amazon review on the Etymotic ER-4P mentioning a problem with cable noise - any movement of the cable is transmitted as noise into the earphone. The reviewer suggest the user remain still while using these headphones. This would be a problem at the gym.

I've use my Er-4P while running or at the gym all the time. When your running or whatever your doing and have music playing you won't here anything else besides the music. if your walking around and the music is very quiet, you will here cable noise.

techlover828

macrumors 68020
Jun 28, 2007
Maine
etymotic er6i. so very good.

agree 100%. I have had mine since 5/07. It broke a week before my warranty ended (one of the headphones stopped working and would intermittently work with pulling the cord). They replaced it no questions asked, great service. Plus I love them.

basesloaded190

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
Wisconsin
agree 100%. I have had mine since 5/07. It broke a week before my warranty ended (one of the headphones stopped working and would intermittently work with pulling the cord). They replaced it no questions asked, great service. Plus I love them.

Couldn't agree more. Top notch Customer Service. I have hear many stories similar to yours. I broke my er-6i and they offered to replace them for free buy i wanted to upgrade to the er-4p instead.

mg5904

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2008
I've use my Er-4P while running or at the gym all the time. When your running or whatever your doing and have music playing you won't here anything else besides the music. if your walking around and the music is very quiet, you will here cable noise.

Thanks. :)

emac82

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2007
Atlantic Canada
Are the new apple in-ear buds compatible with the iPhone 3G? It doesn't show up in the compatibility chart on their website....

Edit to add: Does anyone currently own these new buds? How is the treble/bass? I have the original buds that came with my iPod, and I bought the Griffin Ear Jams to clip over it, and I find they make it sound great...but they irritate my ears after awhile..

ChrisN

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2007
Demarest, NJ
Are the new apple in-ear buds compatible with the iPhone 3G? It doesn't show up in the compatibility chart on their website....

Edit to add: Does anyone currently own these new buds? How is the treble/bass? I have the original buds that came with my iPod, and I bought the Griffin Ear Jams to clip over it, and I find they make it sound great...but they irritate my ears after awhile..

The volume buttons don't work but everything else works.

Sorry to hijack your thread but does anyone know if I can return my year old in earbuds and get store credit?

ChrisN

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.